There are some exceptions for tobacco-related products, such as promotional materials, however. Our guidelines explain which tobacco and smoking accessory products are allowed on eBay.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are any tobacco-related products allowed on eBay?
Yes, there are some exceptions for items that don't contain any tobacco, such as collectible packaging, promotional materials and memorabilia. Smoking accessories that are traditionally intended for smoking tobacco products are allowed. Please read our full policy guidelines for all the details on which products are allowed.
Can I sell collectible packaging that still has some tobacco left in it?
No. Any tobacco collectible packaging must be completely empty, with no tobacco inside the package.
Read our full policy
Tobacco policy overview
You're not allowed to sell tobacco products on eBay, including collectibles that contain tobacco, because of strict government regulations. For details on what can and can't be listed, see our guidelines.
Smoking accessories that are traditionally intended for smoking tobacco products are allowed.
What are the guidelines?
You can list the following if not intended for use with marijuana or illegal drugs:
- Water pipes and hookahs
You cannot list:
- Pipes and water pipes for use with marijuana or illegal drugs
Tobacco, shishas and tobacco-related items
You can list:
- Nicotine patches or gums
- Promotional items with tobacco brand logos, such as calendars, hats, and shirts
- Memorabilia, posters, or similar items (including vintage) for tobacco products
- Tobacco seeds
- Vintage ads for tobacco products
- Collectible packaging that's completely empty (no tobacco inside)
You can list the following if it doesn't include tobacco:
- Cigar bands and packaging
You cannot list:
- Any item containing tobacco, including, but not limited to cigarettes, cigars, and loose tobacco
- Blunts or cigar wraps
- Electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes) and components as defined under FDA regulations - opens in new window or tab
- Herbal cigarettes or herbal tobacco (sometimes called nicotine-free or tobacco-free cigarettes or shisha)
- Nicotine inhalers or nasal sprays (see our medical drugs and devices policy)
- Domain names or web addresses for websites that sell tobacco
- Include photos of cigarettes, cigars, and other tobacco items when selling cigar bands, collectible packaging, or other accessories
Make sure your listings and products follow these guidelines. If they don't, they may be removed, and you may be subject to a range of other actions, including restrictions of your buying and selling privileges and suspension of your account.
Why does eBay have this policy?
Because selling tobacco is highly regulated, most tobacco items can't be sold on eBay. Be sure to follow all applicable laws, regulations, and our policies. For items that are not traditionally intended for use with tobacco, refer to our Drug and drug paraphernalia policy.