At eBay, we have policies to ensure our platform remains a trusted and inclusive environment for our global community of buyers and sellers. Although most adult-only items are prohibited, listings that show nudity are allowed in limited situations when they follow the guidelines below.
We're committed to preventing bias in the application of our policies. All forms of adult content that don't follow our policy will be removed. We'll review the content of the listing, images, and the category of the items to determine if it is allowed.
eBay defines nudity as showing any part of male or female genitalia, anus, or female breasts where the areola or nipple is visible. The following are also considered nudity:
- Modeled clothing that is see-through or very tight and shows human genitalia, the anus, or the nipple/areola of female breasts
- Male erections, even if the model is clothed
- People engaged in sexual contact or activity
What is the policy?
The following items are not allowed:
- Adult items with content that is illegal
- Sexually explicit materials, including items displaying sexual activities, are not allowed. This includes the following:
- Sexually explicit adult films with a rating of X, XXX, or unrated for an adults-only audience
- Sexually explicit video games with a rating of Adults Only 18+
- Sexually explicit magazines, books and comics that show displays of sexual activity
- Items that don't comply with our Illegal explicit content policy, including nudist publications
- AI Generated or Photoshopped nude or sexually suggestive images of public figures
- eBay-hosted video content may not contain nudity
- Images included when leaving feedback may not contain nudity, even if the actual item or original listing included nudity
The following items are allowed only under the conditions outlined below:
- Adult magazines, books and comics that contain nudity are allowed only if they don't contain sexual activity and if no images of nudity are showing in the listing
- Some examples of this include Bear (magazine), Blue (magazine), Butt (magazine), Gayletter, Mayfair, On Our Backs, Penthouse, Playboy, Playgirl, and Playguy. This isn't an exhaustive list of magazines, books and comics we allow. Any adult magazine or comic that doesn't contain sexually explicit content can be listed following the guidelines in this policy
- Nude art listings that do not contain sexually suggestive poses or sexual acts are allowed, but they must include the item specific attribute Subject: Nudes. They can be listed only in the following categories:
- Art categories
- Collectibles > Paper > Pin Up > Vintage (Pre-1970)
- Collectibles > Postcards > Non-Topographical Postcards
- Collectibles > Photographic Images > Photographs
- Sex toys and sex accessories can be listed in the Health & Beauty > Health Care > Sexual Wellness categories, and must follow these guidelines:
- Sellers must be pre-approved. Seller accounts are automatically reviewed for pre-approval at the time of attempting to list in these categories
- Items must be new and in the original packaging
- Listings must not offer international shipping
- Listings must not include images of nudity or sexual content
- Educational materials that don't contain sexually explicit content can be listed as long as the listing doesn't show nude images
Activity on eBay is required to follow this policy, the eBay User Agreement and all applicable laws, as well as respect the rights of third parties. If it doesn’t, eBay may take action consistent with applicable laws and the eBay User Agreement, and may even be legally required to do so. Such actions may include, as an example only: Removing the listing or other content, issuing a warning, restricting activity or account suspension.
Visit Seller Help - opens in new window or tab to find details of any policy issues with your account or listings, and get the information you need to quickly resolve them.
Why does eBay have this policy?
We want to make adult items available to those who wish to purchase them and can do so legally, while preventing those who do not wish to view or purchase these items from easily accessing them.