Most adult items are subject to some form of restriction or prohibition. We'll review the content of the listing description, images, and categories, to determine if an item is allowed.
What is the policy?
Sexually-oriented adult material must be listed in the Everything Else > Adult Only category. This includes the following:
- Adult films and video games with a rating of X, XXX, R18, or unrated for an adults-only audience
- Sexually explicit anime, comics, books, films, animation, manga, hentai, yaoi
- Adult magazines, nudist publications, or adult anime/manga that include sexually-explicit content, nudity, or sexual stories
- The following magazines and books can be listed outside the Adult Only category as long as the listing and product don't contain nude images or explicit content: Playboy, Playgirl, Mayfair, and Penthouse
- Listings containing nudity (other than nude art)
- eBay defines nudity as male/female genitalia, anus, or female breasts where the areola or nipple is visible
Sex toys and sex accessories can be listed in the Health & Beauty > Health Care > Sexual Wellness categories, and must follow these guidelines:
- Sellers must be pre-approved. Seller accounts are automatically reviewed for pre-approval at the time of attempting to list in these categories
- Items must be new and in the original packaging
- Listings must not offer international shipping
- Listings must not include images of nudity or sexual content
Nude art listings must include the item specifics attribute Subject: Nudes, and can only be listed in the Art categories, or the following Collectibles categories:
- Collectibles > Paper > Pin Up > Vintage (Pre-1970)
- Collectibles > Postcards > Risqué
- Collectibles > Photographic Images > Risqué > Vintage & Antique (Pre-1940)
Listings that don’t follow these rules may be removed from the site or from search results. Other actions we may take include lowering a seller’s rating, charging additional fees, limiting buying and selling privileges, or suspending an account.
Why does eBay have this policy?
We want to make adult items available to those who wish to purchase them and can do so legally, while preventing those who do not wish to view or purchase these items from easily accessing them.