Many travel services, including flights and hotel, spa, and resort stays, can be listed on eBay, as long as the seller is eBay Travel Verified. The type of travel service a seller can list depends on whether they're a travel provider, a licensed travel agent, or an individual who's listing their own lodgings.
What is the policy?
The following travel items can't be listed on eBay:
- Choices of lodging locations, airlines, cruise line or cruise points of departure or destination
- Third party travel certificates
- Travel club memberships
- Resale of travel-related incentives such as awards, coupons, upgrades, etc that are subject to cancellation by the travel provider if resold
Sellers must clearly state the types and amounts of any special fees associated with the travel listing in the item description. These fees must be included in the item price.
- Taxes paid to government or other regulatory agencies don't have to be included in the item price, but sellers need to clearly state the amounts in the item description. Listings that seem to include excessive government or regulatory fees, or that don't clearly and accurately state additional fees, could mean the loss of eBay Travel Verification
Timeshare listings are allowed subject to these guidelines:
- Must be listed in the Real Estate > Timeshares for Sale category
- The title of the listing must state the exact location and resort. Sellers are not allowed to state "multiple destinations" or offer choices for location
Rules for individual sellers
Individual sellers who would like to rent out their own lodging, such as a timeshare, condo, apartment, or home, must become eBay Travel Verified. To become eBay Travel Verified, a seller must upload documentation with proof of their ownership rights, and enter their user ID in the comments section at US Trust & Safety - request for documentation - opens in new window or tab. Accepted documents to prove ownership rights are:
- Maintenance fee statement
- Utility bill
- Sellers must list in the correct category: Travel > Lodging
- Sellers must include the eBay Travel Disclaimer in the item description
Rules for travel providers and licensed travel agents
Travel providers and licensed travel agents must become eBay Travel Verified. Sellers must register with eBay Travel by uploading their travel licensing and accreditation and entering their eBay user ID in the comments section. Once approved, they must follow these guidelines:
- Item descriptions must include the eBay Travel Disclaimer
- Sellers must be lawfully allowed to do business in all states and territories in the US, as well as all provinces and territories in Canada
- Sellers must list the item in the travel category assigned to them by eBay Travel Verification
- Must book the travel for the buyer or winning bidder
- Listings must display all travel-licensing credentials by name and number including the California Seller of Travel - opens in new window or tab. (The California Seller of Travel license is not required for vacation packages that do not include air travel or cruises (CST) license.)
- A choice of travel dates are allowed, but the specific destination, location of the hotel, spa, or resort or cruise line and cruise, must be clearly identified in the listing
Activity that doesn't follow eBay policy could result in a range of actions including for example: administratively ending or canceling listings, hiding or demoting all listings from search results, lowering seller rating, buying or selling restrictions, and account suspension. All fees paid or payable in relation to listings or accounts on which we take any action will not be refunded or otherwise credited to your account.
Sellers are required to copy and paste the following disclaimer word for word in all travel listings:
"By listing this auction, I verify that I am the actual travel agent or travel provider and not a third party affiliate. The travel/accommodations in this auction will be booked directly through me and not an outside agency. I also verify that, other than the government taxes and related government fees stated within the listing description itself, there will be absolutely no additional fees, charges or after auction purchases associated with booking the travel within this listing."
Why does eBay have this policy?
This policy helps ensure that the eBay user experience is a positive one and that important government regulations are followed.