If at all possible, try to avoid canceling a transaction because you don't have the item to send – it's considered a transaction defect and may affect your seller performance level. The buyer will still be able to leave you negative or neutral feedback about the transaction.
You can cancel a transaction up to 30 days after a sale, even if your buyer has already paid.
There are situations when you can't cancel a sale:
- You've already sent the item
- The buyer has asked us to step in and help because they didn't receive the item
- You've already opened an unpaid item case
How to cancel a sale
You can cancel a sale by selecting the button below, or by going to My eBay or Seller Hub. After you cancel, we'll let the buyer know. If they've already paid, they'll get a refund.Cancel a transaction
Here's how to cancel a sale:
- In Seller Hub, go to Orders - opens in new window or tab, or in My eBay, go to Sold - opens in new window or tab.
- Find the transaction you want to cancel, and from More actions, select Cancel this order.
- Choose a reason for the cancellation to finish.
- If you're a managed payments seller, or if the buyer paid using paypal, a full refund will be issued automatically. If the buyer used another payment method, they will be asked to confirm that they received their refund, before the cancellation is complete.
Once the buyer has been refunded, you'll receive a final value fee credit.
If you'd like, you can learn more about how refunds work.
If a buyer has contacted you and asked you to cancel the order, they’ll need to file a cancellation request with you.
Once you receive their request, you’ll have 3 days to approve or decline it. If you approve it and the buyer has already paid for the item, you have 10 days to issue them a refund. If you haven’t refunded them within 10 days, they can file a claim through the eBay Money Back Guarantee.
When a buyer cancels a transaction, they can't leave negative or neutral feedback or low detailed seller ratings for you.
Receiving a final value fee credit for a canceled sale
To receive a final value fee credit, the cancellation must be completed. If the buyer paid using PayPal, the refund is complete when their account is refunded. If they paid using any other method, the refund will be considered complete when they confirm they’ve received their money back.
We'll credit the final value fee to your account 7 to 10 days after the cancellation request is complete. Learn more about requesting a final value fee credit.