When you upload tracking information, you provide your buyer with more confidence that their item will reach them. Buyers are more confident their orders will arrive when they receive regular shipping status updates, and are less likely to file “Item not received” claims. By using one of the shipping carriers integrated with eBay and uploading tracking within your handling time, you're also protecting yourself in case your buyer doesn't receive the item and opens an eBay Money Back Guarantee request.
If you use an eBay issued label, the tracking number is provided by one of eBay’s integrated carriers and is automatically uploaded.
How to add, edit or delete tracking details
Once you've sent your item, you can add tracking details (up to 6 tracking numbers per order) through Seller Hub or My eBay, whether your item was bought by an eBay member or a guest buyer. You can also edit or delete tracking details in the same place. Here's how:
- On the Seller Hub Orders page, go to Paid and shipped - opens in new window or tab and find your order.
- Select the order by checking the box next to it.
- Select the Dispatch dropdown menu and then Add tracking number.
- Add, edit or delete the tracking number and the carrier, then select Save.
The buyer will then get an email with the order tracking details.
- Go to the Sold - opens in new window or tab section of My eBay.
- From More actions, select Add tracking number.
- Add, edit or delete the tracking number and the carrier.
- Select Submit.
You can also scan the tracking QR code in your mobile app by selecting Add Tracking Number on the Item page.
Marking an item as shipped
An item will automatically be "marked as shipped" if you use an eBay shipping label or manually upload a tracking number. If you sent an item to a buyer using a different method and it is still not showing as shipped, you can manually mark it as shipped:
If you're using Seller Hub:
- Go to the Awaiting shipment - opens in new window or tab section of the 'Orders' tab.
- Tick the Actions box beside the item you shipped.
- From the dropdown menu, select Mark as shipped
If you're using My eBay Selling:
- Go to the Selling overview - opens in new window or tab section.
- Find the item you shipped.
- From the dropdown menu, select Mark as shipped.
Item not received requests
If a buyer opens an item not received request, and you haven't already uploaded tracking, you will have 3 business days to upload tracking and respond to the buyer. In order to be protected from an "Item not received" claim, the tracking must be from one of the shipping carriers integrated with eBay and must show an acceptance scan to prove shipping.
Item not received requests will close automatically within 24 hours if tracking details show the item has been delivered to the buyer's ZIP code.
Both you and the buyer will get an email notification. The buyer will be able to ask eBay to step in within that 24 hours if they still haven't received the item.
If you buy and print labels on eBay, the order tracking number is uploaded automatically, and you could also save money on shipping.
You can add tracking details for items you're sending internationally in exactly the same way as for domestic orders. With eBay International Shipping, we'll add the international tracking to your order automatically. If you're not using eBay International Shipping, you'll have to add tracking to the order yourself. Make sure you use a carrier that offers tracking.
Troubleshooting tracking issues
If you experience any issues tracking items you've sold, or if the tracking information on eBay is different from the details displayed on the shipping carrier site, try the following:
- Check that you've uploaded the correct tracking number. The tracking number on eBay should match the tracking number on the shipping carrier site
- If the uploaded tracking number is correct, make sure the carrier name and details are also accurate
- Compare the date the order was confirmed and the date the tracking number was uploaded to eBay to see if there is a significant lapse of time. Most shipping companies can only send tracking information during a specific time frame, so tracking information may have been uploaded too late
eBay shipping insurance
As a seller, you're responsible for the safe delivery of your items to the buyer, so you should consider purchasing insurance, particularly for high value goods. ShipCover insurance is available when you print a US Postal Service (USPS) shipping label on eBay. You can purchase other types of insurance online. Check with your shipping carrier to find the best coverage.
You can include the cost of insurance in your shipping rates, but you can't charge it as a separate cost.
You can find more information in our article on shipping insurance - opens in new window or tab.