When you upload tracking information, you provide your buyer with more confidence that their item will reach them. You're also protecting yourself in case your buyer doesn't receive the item and opens an eBay Money Back Guarantee request.
How to add, edit or delete tracking details
Once you've sent your item, you can add tracking details through Seller Hub or My eBay, whether your item was bought by an eBay member or a guest buyer. You can also edit or delete tracking details in the same place. Here's how:
- On the Seller Hub Orders page, go to Paid and shipped - opens in new window or tab and find your order.
- Select the order by checking the box next to it.
- Select the Dispatch dropdown menu and then Add tracking number.
- Add, edit or delete the tracking number and the carrier, then select Save.
The buyer will then get an email with the order tracking details.
- Go to the Sold - opens in new window or tab section of My eBay.
- From More actions, select Add tracking number.
- Add, edit or delete the tracking number and the carrier.
- Select Submit.
Marking an item as shipped
An item will automatically be "marked as shipped" if you use an eBay shipping label or manually upload a tracking number. If you sent an item to a buyer using a different method and it is still not showing as shipped, you can manually mark it as shipped:
If you're using Seller Hub:
- Go to the Awaiting shipment - opens in new window or tab section of the 'Orders' tab.
- Tick the Actions box beside the item you shipped.
- From the dropdown menu, select Mark as shipped
If you're using My eBay Selling:
- Go to the Selling overview - opens in new window or tab section.
- Find the item you shipped.
- From the dropdown menu, select Mark as shipped.
Item not received requests
If a buyer opened an item not received request, the request will close automatically within 24 hours when tracking details show the item has been delivered to the buyer's ZIP code.
Both you and the buyer will get an email notification. The buyer will be able to ask eBay to step in within that 24 hours if they still haven't received the item.
If you buy and print labels on eBay, the order tracking number is uploaded automatically, and you could also save money on shipping.
You can add tracking details for items you're sending internationally in exactly the same way as for domestic orders. The Global Shipping Program (GSP) is the easiest way to manage international shipping and logistics, and we'll add tracking to your order automatically. If you're not using GSP, you'll have to add tracking to the order yourself. Make sure you use a carrier that offers tracking.
eBay shipping insurance
As a seller, you're responsible for the safe delivery of your items to the buyer, so you should consider purchasing insurance, particularly for high value goods. ShipCover insurance is available when you print a US Postal Service (USPS) shipping label on eBay. You can purchase other types of insurance online. Check with your shipping carrier to find the best coverage.
You can include the cost of insurance in your shipping rates, but you can't charge it as a separate cost.
You can find more information in our article on shipping insurance - opens in new window or tab.