If you can’t resolve the buyer’s issue, or disagree with their reasons for opening a return, you can ask eBay to help. We’ll review the details and get back to you and the buyer with a resolution within 48 hours.
If asked to step in to help, we may ask the buyer to return the item to you if any of the following apply:
- We can't determine that the item received by the buyer matches the listing description.
- You offer returns and your stated return window applies.
- You already offered to accept a return.
If we're asked to step in and help and the item is returned used or damaged, you will not be able to issue a partial refund even if you qualify to issue partial refunds under our seller protections. When you do not respond, we may refund the buyer and seek reimbursement from you without requiring the buyer to ship the item back
Whenever possible, we recommend resolving your buyer’s issue directly and not asking us to step in. If we close the case on behalf of the buyer, you could receive a defect that may affect your seller standard.
How do I ask eBay to step in?
Go to the case in the Resolution Center, select Take action and choose Ask eBay to step in.
Whenever possible, we recommend resolving your buyer’s issue and not asking us to step in. If we close the case on behalf of the buyer, you could receive a defect that may affect your seller standards.
When can you ask eBay to step in?
If 3 business days have passed and the issue is not resolved, either of you can ask us to step in and help.
You have up to 30 days after their purchase to ask us for help.
What happens after you ask eBay to step in?
Once we’ve made a decision, which will normally be within 48 hours, we’ll let you and the buyer know.
- If we close the case in your favor, the case will be closed immediately and you won’t need to do anything else.
- If we close the case in the buyer’s favor, we’ll issue them a full refund and then seek reimbursement from you. You won’t receive a final value fee credit if this happens and you may also receive a defect, which may affect your seller standards.
- If you don’t agree with our decision, you can appeal by providing new information within 30 days of the case being closed.