You can use Best Offer in fixed price, classifieds, and eBay Motors listings, but not when you're selling through an auction.
You can also choose to send an offer to buyers who may be interested in your item. If a member contacts you to ask a question about an item, you can send them an offer to let them purchase the item from you at a lower price.
How to add Best Offer to your listings
To add a Best Offer option to your listing:
- Choose Fixed price as your format within the Selling details of the advanced listing form. If you're using the quick listing tool, it's under Choose format and price.
- Enter your Buy It Now price and under Best Offer, select Let buyers make offers.
- Choose whether you want to set up automatic responses to offers.
- Complete the rest of your listing.
When you're working in the quick listing tool, you can change to the advanced listing form by selecting Switch to advanced tool.
How to accept a Best Offer
When a buyer makes you a Best Offer, we'll email you to let you know. You can also see any offers you've received in the My eBay Active selling - opens in new window or tab section and in Seller Hub within Active listings with offers - opens in new window or tab .
After receiving an offer, you have 48 hours to choose how to respond. You can:
- Accept the Best Offer and end the listing
- Respond with counteroffer
- Let the offer expire. This will happen automatically after 48 hours, or when the listing ends, whichever comes first
- Decline the offer
How to make a counteroffer
When you make a counteroffer, your response should be lower than the Buy It Now price, but higher than the offer you received.
You can respond directly to the potential buyer from the message we send you letting you know about the buyer's Best Offer.
You might receive offers from multiple buyers, and making counteroffers to each is perfectly ok. Each counteroffer expires after 48 hours, and whoever accepts your counteroffer first wins.
Automatic responses to Best Offer
If you set up automatic responses in your listing, we can accept or decline a Best Offer for you, based on the price limits you select. Buyers won't know your limits, but the upper limit must be below your Buy It Now price.
Here's how automatic responses work:
- When you get an offer at, or above, your upper limit, we automatically send an email to you and the buyer saying that you've accepted and the buyer should pay
- When you get an offer below your lower limit, we automatically send an email to the buyer declining the offer. The buyer can submit a higher bid or you can send a counteroffer. Buyers can make up to three offers per item in most categories
- When you get an offer somewhere between your price limits, we'll send you a message and you'll have to decide how to respond
You can't use automatic responses when:
- You've put an item on sale using the Markdown Manager tool in Promotions Manager
- The buyer included additional terms in the offer that you'll need to review first
- The option doesn't appear when you are creating your listing – not all categories allow for automatic responses
Sending an offer
If a member asks a question about an item listed in a fixed price format, you can send an offer to the member to invite them to buy the item at a lower price. You can send an offer for any fixed price listing, as long as the listing is active, doesn’t use variations and is not listed in the Motors Vehicles category. You can send a member only one offer at a time. If the offer expires or you cancel it, you can send another – up to a limit of five offers per listing.
If you’re accepting Best Offers on a listing, you can send offers on that same listing to buyers who ask questions, unless the buyer has already sent a Best Offer. If a buyer sends a Best Offer, you can't send an offer to that buyer.
If the buyer accepts your offer, you're both required to complete the transaction. The buyer will be prompted to check out and pay, and you’ll be required to ship the item.
Offers last for either 48 hours or until the listing ends, whichever comes first. You can also choose to cancel the offer.
Here’s how to send an offer:
- Within the message from a member about your fixed price listing, select Send an offer directly to member.
- On the Create your offer page, enter the offer price, quantity (if applicable), and any message you want to include for the buyer.
- Click Submit to send your offer.
You can view all offers you've sent by going to your active listings in My eBay and clicking More Actions. In the drop-down menu, select Manage offers to see your offer activity. You can also find this in Seller Hub, by choosing Listings and then Active.
Offers and multi-quantity listings
If you're selling two or more identical items in a single listing, you can send an offer for all, some, or only one of the items in the listing.
For example, if you are selling four of an item and the Buy It Now price is $25 each, you can send an offer for all four items at a price of $80. As soon as all of the items for a listing have been sold, either through Buy It Now, Best Offer or by sending offers, the listing is immediately closed and any further offers are automatically canceled.
You can't include contact information such as an email address, phone number, or URL when sending an offer. You also shouldn't respond to a buyer who asks to purchase an item outside of eBay. Doing so violates our offers to buy or sell outside of eBay policy.