Setting and meeting expectations in a listing's terms of sale ensures a smooth transaction and buyer satisfaction, while helping eBay remain a reputable marketplace.
What is the policy?
Sellers should provide clear and accurate terms and conditions, and are required to meet the expectations they have set in their listings. These should include:
- Shipping services, costs, and handling time. A shipping service that ensures safe and timely delivery, including when offering free shipping, should be used.
Note: Transactions with a total order cost (total of item(s), shipping and tax) of $750 or more are required to have signature confirmation to be protected if the buyer reports they didn't receive the item. Learn more about signature confirmation requirements.
- The forms of payment accepted and that can be selected in eBay checkout
- A returns policy:
- Clearly stated criteria under which a return will be accepted
- Clearly stated time period in which the buyer must notify the seller about a return
- Who will pay return shipping
- How refunds will be issued
- Clearly stated taxes or applicable government-imposed fees
- Compliance with the Presale listings policy, where applicable
- Having items in an inventory or having an existing agreement with a third party to fulfill the delivery of the item under the terms of the listing
- When using a pricing promotion, following the rules in the Pricing and Promotions Terms and Conditions - opens in new window or tab
Activity that doesn't follow eBay policy could result in a range of actions including for example: administratively ending or canceling listings, hiding or demoting all listings from search results, lowering seller rating, buying or selling restrictions, and account suspension. All fees paid or payable in relation to listings or accounts on which we take any action will not be refunded or otherwise credited to your account.
Why does eBay have this policy?
Buyers and sellers are entering a contract when they complete transactions, so it's necessary to have clear details on what the transaction entails in order to guarantee satisfaction. This policy also helps sellers meet our performance standards.