Presale listings for items like these are generally allowed on eBay, but to ensure buyers don't end up disappointed, our presale listings policy lays out our requirements for this type of transaction. Please see our full policy guidelines below for all the details.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I list presale items?
To list presale items, you must guarantee that the item can be shipped within 30 days of the purchase being completed, and make clear in the listing that the item is presale. The handling time you specify should reflect the time it will take from the end of the listing until it can be shipped.
For some pre-release items and all accessories, we may block listings until there are no more than 30 days to the release date of the item.
Are there any presale items that I can't list?
Yes. Any items that can't be sent to the buyer within 30 days of purchase aren't allowed. Examples include subscriptions and layaway payment programs.
Read our full policy
Presale listings policy overview
Presale listings offer items up to 30 days before they're available to the general public. Items do not need to be in the seller's possession when they're listed.
To offer an item for presale, you must meet all of the following criteria:
- Guarantee that the item will be shipped within 30 days after purchase
- The date your item will be available to ship must be clearly stated in your listing
- Clearly indicate in the title and description that the item is being offered for presale
- In your handling time, include the time you will wait to acquire the item, in addition to the time it will take you to ship
- State the actual handling time in your listing
- Alice will receive a new video game from the publisher in 39 days. She starts a 10-day auction with a 30-day handling time. Since she can guarantee she will ship within 30 days after the listing ends, her listing complies with this policy.
- Albert also sells video games and he will also receive his shipment from the publisher within 39 days. Albert starts a listing that's almost identical to Alice's, except he chooses a 5-day auction. Albert is violating this policy because he won't be able to ship the item within 30 days from the date the listing ends.
Make sure you follow these guidelines. If you don't, you may be subject to a range of actions. We may limit, restrict, or suspend you from buying, selling, or using site features. All of your listings may be removed, displayed lower or not shown in search results, without refunding any or all applicable fees. You may also forfeit special account status and any discounts.
eBay Money Back Guarantee
If you bought a presale item that you didn't receive, you have 30 days after the estimated delivery date to request a refund. If no estimated delivery date is available, you can request a refund 7 days after paying for an item if the item was shipped domestically, or 30 days after paying for an item if the item was shipped internationally. Learn more about eBay Money Back Guarantee timelines.
Subscriptions are considered presale items and typically aren't allowed to be listed on eBay. We may approve first party suppliers to offer subscriptions.
Layaway payment programs
Layaway payments and similar payment programs aren't allowed.
For pre-release items and their accessories, we may block listings until 30 days to the release date.
Why does eBay have this policy?
These guidelines are designed to allow items that aren't available yet, while ensuring the buyer and seller can be protected by eBay buyer and seller guarantees.