In general, used cosmetics can't be sold, but please read our full policy guidelines for the details of what can and can't be sold in this category on our site.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which cosmetic items can I list?
You can list new cosmetic brushes and applicators. You can also list some other used or open items, but there are restrictions on how you list them and guidelines on the information you need to provide in your listings.
Read our policy below for more information.
What can't I sell?
You can't list used cosmetics, used make-up sponges, or used applicators on eBay.
Read our full policy
Used cosmetics policy overview
Used cosmetics present some serious health and safety concerns because the products and applicators used to apply them often come into direct contact with the body. This is why we generally don't allow the sale of used cosmetics on eBay. The sale of new cosmetics is generally allowed on eBay, as long as sellers comply with FDA regulations.
See the What are the guidelines section for details about what you can and can't sell.
Make sure your listing follows these guidelines. If it doesn't, it may be removed, and you may be subject to a range of other actions, including restrictions of your buying and selling privileges and suspension of your account.
- New cosmetic brushes and applicators
- New cosmetics as long as they are sold in their original container with ingredient labeling per FDA regulations
- Used cosmetic brushes, as long as they have been thoroughly cleaned
- Homemade cosmetics, as long as they comply with FDA regulations
- Lotions, perfumes, and body washes, as long as they don't have an applicator that comes into contact with the body
- Opened but unused cosmetics, as long as the seller clearly states that the container has been opened
- Sample cosmetics, as long as they come in the original container that includes the ingredient list
- Used cosmetics
- Used makeup sponges or applicators
- Cosmetics, colognes, perfumes, lotions which do not come in the original container
For more information on the sale of cosmetics, both used and unused, visit the U.S. Food and Drug Administration - opens in new window or tab.- opens in new window or tab
Why does eBay have this policy?
We urge our buyers and sellers to follow all federal and state laws and regulations. Because sales of used cosmetics are prohibited by law, regulated, or may cause harm to eBay or its members, we don't allow sellers to list these items unless they meet our specific guidelines.