Due to government regulations controlling the sale of items designed or modified for military or defense purposes, (including parts/components, software and information) there are some items that can't be listed on eBay.
What is the policy?
The following items are not allowed:
- Explosives of any type including grenades of any kind, land mines, missiles, rockets, or launchers
- Military ordnance such as weapons or ammunition, regardless of whether the item is considered demilitarized or unserviceable
- Most military vehicles, including aircraft and ships, and their parts and accessories
- Military-issued body armor, Level 4 body armor, or body armor stamped with "US", including Outer Tactical Vests (OTV), or Small Armor Protective Insert (SAPI) plates
- SAPI plates that aren't property described
- Interceptor Body Armor (IBA), including items manufactured by Point Blank (PBI), Second Chance (SCI), and Armor Holding
- Interceptor Body Armor (IBA) and Interceptor Outer Tactical Vests (OTV) with or without plates
- Detachable groin armor and neck armor
- Technical data as defined under Part 120 of the ITAR - opens in new window or tab, including user manuals for military items
Sellers can list the following items:
- Military surplus items such as military-related backpacks, blankets, canteens, clothing, foot lockers, hats, helmets, and other items that you can find in online and retail stores
Sellers can list these restricted items:
- Military items that follow all country laws and meet all of the following criteria:
- The item is listed on eBay.com (our US website)
- The buyer, the seller, and the item are all located in the US
- The seller specifically states the item will only be shipped domestically (within the US)
- The buyer certifies that they're a US citizen or permanent resident
- The item isn't covered in Part 121 of the ITAR - opens in new window or tab of the U.S. Munitions List (USML)
- Body armor is allowed if:
- It isn't military issued
- It's a level I, II, or III body armor or Small Arms Protection Insert (SAPI) plate which is included in the listing
- The listing includes the manufacturer and model designation with a clear picture that verifies the information
- The listing includes the following disclaimer, "This model complies with NIJ Standard-0101.06 for Ballistic Resistance of Body Armor"
Activity that doesn't follow eBay policy could result in a range of actions including for example: administratively ending or canceling listings, hiding or demoting all listings from search results, lowering seller rating, buying or selling restrictions, and account suspension. All fees paid or payable in relation to listings or accounts on which we take any action will not be refunded or otherwise credited to your account.
Visit Seller Help to find details of any policy issues with your account or listings, and get the information you need to quickly resolve them.
Why does eBay have this policy?
This policy helps ensure that important government regulations are followed.
- International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) Part 121 - opens in new window or tab
- US Department of State - opens in new window or tab
- US Department of Justice - opens in new window or tab
- US Department of Commerce - opens in new window or tab
- US Immigration and Customs Enforcement - opens in new window or tab
- US Department of Defense - opens in new window or tab
- US Government Accountability Office - opens in new window or tab
- National Institute of Justice (NIJ) - opens in new window or tab