We take great care to protect the health and safety of our members. This policy reflects our commitment to eBay user safety by strictly adhering to government regulations on the transportation of dangerous goods.
What is the policy?
Most hazardous materials are prohibited on eBay.
The following are not allowed:
- Poisons and carcinogenic substances
- Dinitrophenol (DNP) in any of its forms, either as a pure substance or active ingredient of any product (such as weight-loss supplements)
- Fire extinguishers that contain carbon tetrachloride
- Non-government-approved refrigerants
- Radioactive materials
- Combustible materials like black powder, caps for toy guns, explosive fuses, fireworks, exploding targets, flares, flash paper, red phosphorous, gasoline, Thermite
- Explosives precursors including aluminium powder, ammonium nitrate, calcium ammonium nitrate, calcium nitrate, hydrogen peroxide above 12% weight by weight (carbamide peroxide above 34% by weight), magnesium nitrate hexahydrate, magnesium powder, nitric acid, nitromethane, nitro-fuel, potassium chlorate, potassium nitrate, potassium perchlorate, sodium azide, sodium chlorate, sodium nitrate, sodium perchlorate, sulphuric acid and urea nitrate.
- Hazardous materials banned by a selected shipping provider (sellers should check with them before listing an item)
The following are restricted:
- If the material can be shipped by standard shipping services and is not prohibited by local laws or regulations, then it can be listed
- If hazardous materials have specific shipping restrictions required by the shipping provider, these must be outlined in the item description
Activity that doesn't follow eBay policy could result in a range of actions including for example: administratively ending or canceling listings, hiding or demoting all listings from search results, lowering seller rating, buying or selling restrictions, and account suspension. All fees paid or payable in relation to listings or accounts on which we take any action will not be refunded or otherwise credited to your account.
Visit Seller Help to find details of any policy issues with your account or listings, and get the information you need to quickly resolve them.
Why does eBay have this policy?
This policy helps sellers follow important government regulations.
- U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) - opens in new window or tab
- U.S. Postal Service - opens in new window or tab
- USPS Publication 52 - opens in new window or tab
- Agency for Toxic Substances & Disease Registry (ATSDR) - carbon tetrachloride - opens in new window or tab
- US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) - opens in new window or tab
- U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) - opens in new window or tab
- California state law - Iodine - opens in new window or tab
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) - opens in new window or tab
- Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF)
- Hazardous Materials Regulations - opens in new window or tab