This policy reflects our commitment to the safety of our users by strictly adhering to government regulations for the sale and transportation of dangerous goods.
What is the policy?
The following hazardous materials are not allowed on eBay:
- Carbon tetrachloride and any product or item that contains it, such as fire extinguishers
- Combustibles such as black powder, caps for toy guns, explosive fuses, fireworks, exploding targets, flares, flash paper, red phosphorous, gasoline, Thermite
- Dinitrophenol (DNP) and any product that contains it (such as weight-loss supplements)
- Explosives precursors including aluminium powder, ammonium nitrate, calcium ammonium nitrate, calcium nitrate, hydrogen peroxide above 12% weight by weight (carbamide peroxide above 34% by weight), magnesium nitrate hexahydrate, magnesium powder, nitric acid, nitromethane, nitro-fuel, potassium chlorate, potassium nitrate, potassium perchlorate, sodium azide, sodium chlorate, sodium nitrate, sodium perchlorate, sulphuric acid and urea nitrate
- Methylene chloride (dichloromethane) and paint or coating-removal products that contain it, such as Formby’s Furniture Refinisher
- Non-government-approved refrigerants
- Ozone-depleting chemicals
- Radioactive materials
The seller is responsible for complying with local laws and regulations.
Some products are prohibited by the shipping carrier or have restrictions on which type of shipping method may be used. For example, some types of batteries cannot be shipped through airmail.
- To sell restricted items, the seller must follow all shipping carrier guidelines and specify applicable shipping restrictions in the item description
Activity that doesn't follow eBay policy could result in a range of actions including for example: administratively ending or canceling listings, hiding or demoting all listings from search results, lowering seller rating, buying or selling restrictions, and account suspension. All fees paid or payable in relation to listings or accounts on which we take any action will not be refunded or otherwise credited to your account.
Visit Seller Help - opens in new window or tab to find details of any policy issues with your account or listings, and get the information you need to quickly resolve them.
Why does eBay have this policy?
This policy helps sellers follow important government regulations.
- Agency for Toxic Substances & Disease Registry (ATSDR) - carbon tetrachloride - opens in new window or tab
- Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) - opens in new window or tab
- California state law - Iodine: Inhalation Hazards, Detection and Prevention - opens in new window or tab - opens in new window or tab
- FedEx Hazardous Materials (FedEx Ground): How To Ship - opens in new window or tab
- U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) - opens in new window or tab
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) - opens in new window or tab
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) - opens in new window or tab
- U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) - opens in new window or tab
- U.S. Postal Service: Domestic Shipping Prohibitions & Restrictions - opens in new window or tab
- USPS International Shipping Prohibitions and Restrictions - opens in new window or tab
- USPS Publication 52Hazardous, Restricted, and Perishable Mail - opens in new window or tab