This policy is in place to prevent any risk of documents being used to create a false identity, and to comply with applicable laws and regulations.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are there any types of IDs or licenses allowed on eBay?
You can list government documents that are obviously antique or vintage – generally more than 100 years old – such as birth certificates, marriage licenses, and ship captains' licenses. Members can also sell US passports that were issued more than 20 years prior to the date of sale. Read our full policy below for more details.
Can I sell a government-issued medal?
No, we don't allow listings for government-issued medals or their certificates. This includes the Air Force Cross, Congressional Medal of Honor, Distinguished Service Cross, Navy Cross, Purple Heart, or Silver Star. This also applies to a medal's associated buttons, ribbons, or rosettes.
Read our full policy
Government documents, IDs, and licenses policy overview
To prevent false identities, comply with the law, and help ensure public safety, we don't allow government identification cards, such as driver's licenses and passports, to be offered for sale on eBay.
Federal regulations also prohibit the sale of classified government documents (internal paperwork that are not for public use) and certain types of government-issued medals, so such items can't be sold on eBay. For more examples of government-related items that aren't allowed, see the guidelines below.
Make sure your listing follows these guidelines. If it doesn't, it may be removed, and you may be subject to a range of other actions, including restrictions of your buying and selling privileges and suspension of your account.
What are the guidelines?Allowed
- Antique (generally more than 100 years old) government documents such as birth certificates, marriage licenses, and ship captain's licenses
- Expired U.S. passports that were issued more than 20 years prior to the date of the sale
- Services for obtaining a license
- Collectible vehicle license plates that are at least 3 years old. Sellers need to clearly state the plate's age in their listing description
- AutoCheck or Carfax reports
- Birth certificates or a completed applications for a birth certificate
- Classified or restricted government documents
- Current vehicle license plates and plates that look like current license plates
- Documents that are designed to look like official documents but are actually fake
- Drivers' licenses or completed applications for a driver's license
- Fake certificates or diplomas
- Fake IDs such as licenses or passports
- Government vehicle license plates
- Government-issued medals and certificates for medals, including the Air Force Cross, Congressional Medal of Honor, Distinguished Service Cross, Navy Cross, Purple Heart, or Silver Star. This also applies to a medal's associated buttons, ribbons, or rosettes
- Items that are used to create or modify IDs, government documents, licenses, or plates
- Passports or a completed application for a passport
- Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) plates
- VIN plate rivets
- Vehicle titles or vehicle title stocks (although a vehicle title that's being sold with a vehicle is OK)
Why does eBay have this policy?
To comply with all laws and regulations, the sale of government documents, IDs, and licenses is prohibited on eBay. Please understand that our rules are also intended to help prevent false identities. Be sure to follow our guidelines.