Please read our full policy guidelines below for additional details of the types of language and behavior this covers.
Frequently Asked Questions
What sort of language isn't allowed on eBay?
eBay doesn't allow the use of hateful, offensive, profane, or vulgar language in public areas of the website. Public areas include listings, profiles, feedback, discussion boards, and more.
Defamatory language (language or comments that could be considered harmful to the reputation of another eBay member) is also strictly prohibited on eBay.
How can I report abusive behavior or defamatory comments?
How you let us know about the inappropriate language depends on where you see it:
- If someone left you abusive or profane feedback, review our Member-to-member contact policy and contact us to report the feedback
- If you've come across a listing that you believe is offensive, please report the listing to us
- If another member has made comments about you that you consider defamatory, or if you've received offensive or abusive messages from another eBay member, you can report the buyer or the seller to us
If you've received messages which you consider threatening and are worried about your safety, we receommend contacting your local law enforcement agency.
Can I sell media items that have profanity in the titles?
Music CDs, movie DVDs or other media items with titles that include profanity are allowed on eBay as long as any profane words are part of the official title.
Read our full policy
Inappropriate language and profanity policy overview
For a pleasant experience on eBay, we don't allow using hateful, offensive, profane, or vulgar language in public areas of the website, including:
- Chat rooms
- Discussion boards
- eBay Motors
- eBay Stores
- Other areas of the site that people see
To find out more about our profanity policy, see the guidelines below.
Make sure your listing follows these guidelines. If it doesn't, it may be removed, and you may be subject to a range of other actions, including restrictions of your buying and selling privileges and suspension of your account.
What are the guidelines?Allowed
- An item listed in the Adult Only category that includes a profane word as part of its official title or description
- Music CD, movie DVD, or other media items with titles that include profanity. The profane word has to be part of an official title (for example, a song title) that was originally released by the company that made the item
- Officially released product with a brand name that includes a profane word
- Novelty items (hats, T-shirts, and so on) with profanity have to meet the following criteria:
- The majority of the profane word has to be replaced with asterisks (for example, s*** or f***)
- Any image showing the profane word needs to be blurred out as well
- Hateful, obscene, offensive, racist, sexual, or violent words in any public area of eBay
- Offensive usernames
- Profane language to describe an item for sale
- Profanity in a listing title or description