You can send one email per week for each of your mailing lists, and there’s no limit to the number of subscribers on each list.
Creating and managing mailing lists
To start creating your email mailing lists:
- Go to your eBay Store and select Manage my Store - opens in new window or tab.
- Choose Email Marketing.
From here, you’ll see a standard mailing list named “General Interest.” You can keep this mailing list (or rename it) and add up to four additional mailing lists.
Simply select Create Mailing List to create a new list, or choose Edit from the Action dropdown menu to edit an existing one.
Consider creating mailing lists that target different types of interests or promotions. For example, you could have a “Books” list and a “Sales Notifications” list.
You can also rename or delete mailing lists. If you delete a mailing list, subscribers are automatically unsubscribed and can’t be restored. If you delete all your mailing lists, buyers won’t be able to sign up for your newsletters.
To see who subscribes to your mailing lists:
- Go to Store Marketing in Manage my Store - opens in new window or tab.
- Select Subscriber lists.
- Choose Total Subscribers.
You’ll be able to see user IDs and the date they subscribed.
To block unwanted subscribers, select Total Subscribers, choose the subscribers, and then Block Buyers.
By blocking buyers from your mailing lists, you’re also adding them to your blocked bidder and buyer list, which prevents them from bidding on or buying any of your items.
Designing email newsletters
Our design templates help you create your email newsletter. Based on the template you select, we’ll add standard text and feature items from your store.
To design an email newsletter:
- Go to Manage my Store - opens in new window or tab.
- Select an email template and the general layout.
- Customize your email by changing the standard content and options as needed.
You can select Duplicate to have details from a past email prefilled. Any listings that have ended will no longer be available, but all other settings (recipients, subject, and your custom message) will be duplicated.
Customizing your email
Here are some ways you can customize your email:
- Subject: Enter the subject of your email or use the one provided. On the email message, your subject will appear after the words “eBay Seller Email:” in the email’s subject line.
- Header: You can include your store listing header. The header appears at the top of your email and includes your store logo, name, and links to your categories and pages.
- Item showcase: To feature specific items in your email using large pictures, use the item showcase option. You can choose the items manually or automatically.
- Item list: The item list shows items in a standard list. You can display up to 50 items. Items are automatically selected based on criteria that you specify.
- Show your feedback: Your email can include a link to your feedback profile.
- Frequency: You can have the newsletter sent automatically on a regular basis (every week, every 2 weeks, every month, or every 8 weeks) and select which day of the week it will be sent.
Tuesday and Wednesday are the days subscribers are most likely to read your newsletter.
What your emails can’t include
Your emails can’t include:
- Offers to sell items outside of eBay
- Phone numbers or email addresses
- Links or image references to items not located on an eBay site
Free email allocation and fees
Your store subscription includes a monthly allocation of free emails.
|Subscription level||Monthly free email allocation||Additional cost per recipient (over allocation)|
|Basic Store||5,000||$0.01 per email|
|Premium Store||7,500||$0.01 per email|
|Anchor Store||10,000||$0.01 per email|
If your newsletter will exceed the number of free emails available with your store subscription, we’ll let you know. You’ll be able to revise the recipient list and make any other changes before you send the newsletter.
You can choose email recipients by selecting one or more of your mailing lists. We’ll send only one email per subscriber, regardless of how many mailing lists a subscriber belongs to.
Note: If you sent an email to one of your mailing lists within the past 7 days, you won’t be able to select it. After 7 days, you can select it for a future newsletter.
There are a few ways you can reduce the number of recipients:
- Select the minimum number of purchases a subscriber must have made to be sent an email.
- Select the Show advanced options link. You can then limit your recipient list based on the subscriber’s length of subscription and previous email activity, such as those who have received and opened your email in the past.
Checking the status of an email newsletter
Email newsletters are sent according to the schedule you specify. Emails that are to be sent immediately can take up to four hours to be delivered. You’ll receive a free copy of your email once it’s delivered to recipients.
You can check the status of an email in Manage my Store - opens in new window or tab:
- Scheduled emails are shown in the Pending Emails section.
- Emails that are in the process of being sent are shown in the Sent Emails section with the status “Sending.”
- Emails that have been distributed to recipients are shown in the Sent Emails section with the status “Sent.”
- If your email is blocked because of a potential virus in the content, it appears in the Sent Emails section with the status “Failed (virus threat).”