Packing tips for sellers
Here are some tips on packing your items:
- Choose a container that’s slightly larger than your item, so you can cushion it with packing material on all sides.
- Surround your item with bubble wrap, packing peanuts, foam, or paper (so there’s no room for things to move around).
- Use clear or brown packaging tape, eBay’s own branded tape - opens in new window or tab, reinforced packing tape, or paper tape, which should be at least 2 inches wide.
- Don’t use masking tape, cellophane tape, cord, string, or twine.
- Tape the opening of the box and reinforce all seams and edges.
- Clearly label the package and include a return address.
- If you’re reusing a box, cover any previous labels and cross out any previous addresses with a black marker.
Allow space for packing material when you’re choosing the box or envelope.
How to pack irregularly shaped items
Some things are a little more difficult to ship than others. Here are some ideas for packing irregularly shaped items:
- Metals: tape the address label directly to the item, and cover any sharp or protruding edges with cardboard.
- Fabric and wallpaper: rolled goods travel best in corrugated boxes. If you ship a fabric roll in a bag, make sure it’s tightly wrapped and taped to avoid tearing.
- Tires: apply a wide band of pressure-sensitive tape through the center and completely around the body of the tire. Attach the address label to the tape band where it covers the tread, and cover with clear tape.
eBay branded packaging
You can give your packages a more professional look with eBay branded packaging. Visit our shipping supplies store - opens in new window or tab where you can buy an array of eBay branded materials, including boxes, bags, and envelopes, as well as gift boxes, packing tapes, and other packaging supplies.