How to add categories
When you start listing your item, a category is usually pre-populated with suggestions based on your title.
If you don't agree with what's suggested, you can select Search categories or Browse categories to find an alternative.
When you've used a category in a previous listing, eBay saves it so you can select it again as either your main or secondary category.
Sometimes we'll change the category if your selection doesn't match the item listed.
How to list in two categories
Listing in two categories increases the chances that your item will get in front of an interested buyer.
To add a second category, select Add a second category in the Product details section of the listing form.
You'll pay an insertion fee for including a second category – this fee still applies even when using a free listing. If you have an eBay Store, though, you can use both a main Store category and a secondary Store category for free.
Listing in two categories isn't available in all categories. Please review the list below to see which categories are excluded.
Here's how the seller may respond:
- Adult items: You can't list an adult-oriented item in category outside of eBay's Adult Only section. If you do, your listing may be removed for not following the guidelines in our Adult Only category policy. You can list your item in 2 subcategories within Adult Only
- Business & Industrial: Listing in 2 categories isn't available in the following categories:
- Heavy Equipment (includes all subcategories)
- Concession Trailers & Carts (found in Restaurant & Catering)
- Commercial Printing Presses (found in Printing & Graphic Arts)
- Imaging & Aesthetics Equipment (found in Healthcare, Lab & Life Science)
- DVD & Blu-ray Discs: Listing in 2 categories isn't available for the DVD & Blu-ray Discs category. If you choose this as your first category, you won't be able to select a second category. If you choose it as your second category, it will automatically be removed from the listing before you submit it
- Consumer Electronics: Listing in 2 categories isn't available for the following categories:
- Consumer Electronics > Vehicle Electronics & GPS >GPS Units
- Consumer Electronics > Portable Audio & Headphones > iPods & MP3 Players
- If you choose either of these as your first category, you won't be able to select a second category. If you choose either of these as your second category, it will automatically be removed from the listing before you submit it
- Motor Vehicles: Listing in 2 categories isn't available
- Real Estate: Listing in 2 categories isn't available
- Listings with variations: When creating a listing with variations, you might want to consider listing in only 1 category. Currently, you can create a listing with variations in the following categories:
- Clothing, Shoes & Accessories
- Health & Beauty
- Home & Garden (most sub-categories)
- Jewelry & Watches
- Pet Supplies
- Sporting Goods
You can use our category look-up tool to find out if listings with variations are available in your category. Listings with variations depend on variation details and item specifics that might not be available in a second category. If you select a second category that doesn't allow variations, you won't be able to create a listing with variations.
As always, please list your item in appropriate categories. We investigate complaints and will move your listing if necessary. Learn more about our search and browse manipulation policy.