Lots of buyers refine their searches by category, so choosing the right category will make your item easier to find.
How to add categories
When you start listing your item, a category is usually pre-populated with suggestions based on your title.
If you disagree with the suggestions, you can select Search categories or Browse categories to find an alternative.
When you’ve used a category in a previous listing, eBay saves it so you can select it again as either your main or secondary category.
Sometimes we’ll change the category if your selection doesn’t match the item listed.
How to list in two categories
Listing in two categories increases the chances that your item will get in front of an interested buyer.
To add a second category, select Add a second category in the Product details section of the listing form.
You’ll pay an insertion fee for including a second category (this fee still applies even when using a free listing). Learn more about eBay fees.
Bear in mind that your item needs to be fully relevant to both categories. For example, you could list a vintage table from Japan in both the Asian Antiques category and the Antiques > Furniture category.
Not all categories allow you to list in a second category. Please review the list below to see which categories are excluded.
- Adult items: You can’t list an adult-oriented item in a category outside of eBay’s Adult Only section. If you do, your listing may be removed for not following the guidelines in our Adult Only category policy. You can list your item in two subcategories within Adult Only
- Business & Industrial: You cannot list the following in more than one category:
- Heavy Equipment (includes all subcategories)
- Concession Trailers & Carts (found in Restaurant & Catering)
- Commercial Printing Presses (found in Printing & Graphic Arts)
- Imaging & Aesthetics Equipment (found in Healthcare, Lab & Life Science)
- DVD & Blu-ray Discs: If you choose this as your first category, you won’t be able to select a second category. If you choose it as your second category, it will automatically be removed from the listing before you submit it
- Consumer Electronics: You cannot list the following in more than one category:
- Consumer Electronics > Vehicle Electronics & GPS > GPS Units
- Consumer Electronics > Portable Audio & Headphones > iPods & MP3 Players
- If you choose either of these as your first category, you won’t be able to select a second category. If you choose either of these as your second category, it will automatically be removed from the listing before you submit it
- Motor Vehicles: You cannot list in an additional category
- Real Estate: You cannot list in an additional category
- Listings with variations: When creating a listing with variations, you might want to consider listing in only one category. Currently, you can create a listing with variations in the following categories:
- Clothing, Shoes & Accessories
- Health & Beauty
- Home & Garden (most sub-categories)
- Jewelry & Watches
- Pet Supplies
- Sporting Goods
You can use our category look-up tool to find out if listings with variations are available in your category. Listings with variations depend on variation details and item specifics that might not be available in a second category. If you select a second category that doesn’t allow variations, you won’t be able to create a listing with variations.
As always, please list your item in appropriate categories. We investigate complaints and will move your listing if necessary. Learn more about our search manipulation policy.