Some pesticides are allowed on eBay, but it's the seller's responsibility to make sure that the pesticide is registered and lawfully available for sale. We also have additional requirements that sellers must adhere to, including adding certain statements to their listings.
You'll find more details on these requirements in our full policy below.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I find out if the pesticide I want to list is allowed?
It's your responsibility to check if the pesticide you want to list on eBay is allowed by the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) - opens in new window or tab.You also need to ensure that both federal and state governments permit its sale – this includes the buyer's state as well as your own – and that the buyer is eligible to purchase it.
To find out more, read our detailed guidelines below.
Can I sell flea and tick medications?
Only if they have been approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), and if they are in sealed, original packaging. They must also have been bought in the US.
Flea and tick medications that have been opened, or that were bought in another country and then shipped to the US, are not allowed on eBay.
Pesticides policy overview
Because of potential health and safety issues, the sale of pesticides is regulated by the U.S. government and by eBay.
Make sure your listing follows these guidelines. If it doesn't, it may be removed, and you may be subject to a range of other actions, including limits of your buying and selling privileges and suspension of your account.
What are the guidelines?Allowed
- Pesticides that meet the guidelines below
- Information on the legal use of pesticides
- Snakebite kits
- Before 1970, pesticide products were registered by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA). You can't sell these pesticides, but you can sell their collectible containers if you meet the guidelines below
- Flea and tick medications that have been approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and are sealed in their original packaging (see our medical drugs, devices and healthcare policy)
- Pesticides with a canceled or suspended Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) registration
- Pesticides classified as restricted by the EPA
- Pesticides in open containers
- Pesticides that have been repackaged, except for collectible packages
- Frontline and Advantage flea and tick medications that are purchased in another country and shipped to the U.S
- Repackaged flea and tick medication that was approved by the FDA. By repackaging the item, it loses its approval and becomes a violation of federal law. (See our medical drugs, devices and healthcare policy)
- Poisonous or toxic substances that the U.S. Postal Service won't allow to be sent through the mail - opens in new window or tab
- Snake venom
- Dursban 50 W
You can sell a pesticide on eBay if it meets all of the following conditions:
- It's registered by U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and by the buyer's state
- The registration hasn't been suspended or canceled by the U.S. EPA or the buyer's state. If you're not sure, find out - opens in new window or tab
- It isn't classified as restricted by the U.S. EPA or the buyer's state
- Its package labeling follows all federal and state requirements, and the item description is consistent with the label
- The container and original packaging is unopened and intact
- The container can be shipped in a way that follows U.S. postal regulations
Also, the buyer must be eligible to purchase the pesticide under federal and state law.
Remember that the seller is responsible for making sure the listing is lawful and safe. For this reason, if you're listing a pesticide on eBay, you need to include the following statements in your listing:
- I will follow all applicable federal and state laws and regulations and ensure that the buyer satisfies all applicable laws and regulations.
- I won't accept bids from, sell to, or ship to states where the pesticide is not registered as a general-use pesticide.
We recommend copying and pasting this text directly into your listing. Be sure to use the same font size as the rest of your description.
You can sell collectible pesticide containers or devices if the container or device is empty and rinsed, and you include this information in the item description.
Important: Don't dump the remaining contents of a pesticide container down the drain, into the garden, or into the sewer. Instead, check with your local government to find out if there is a pesticide collection program in your area. Most places have programs to collect and dispose of pesticides in a safe and simple way at little or no cost to the participants. To find out about programs in your area, call 1-800-CLEANUP.
It is the seller's responsibility to ensure that the pesticide container or device is empty and rinsed before listing it on eBay. However, the buyer should verify the information provided by the seller before completing the sale.
Why does eBay have this policy?
Because pesticides are potentially dangerous to people, animals and the environment, we have specific rules about selling them on our site.