The sale of most locksmithing equipment is also prohibited, but there are some exceptions.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the exceptions?
eBay doesn't permit the sale of functional lockpicking or locksmithing devices that could be used to facilitate crime. However, certain items are allowed, including antique skeleton keys, blank keys and depth keys. Please see our full guidelines below for a complete list of permitted items.
Can I sell key cutting machines on eBay?
Key cutting machines and other devices that can be used to make duplicate keys can't be sold on eBay. However, you can sell replacements parts for key cutting machines.
Read our full policy
Lockpicking devices policy overview
For legal reasons, you're not allowed to list any lockpicking or locksmithing devices on eBay. See the Additional information section below for more details.
Make sure your listing follows these guidelines. If it doesn't, it may be removed, and you may be subject to a range of other actions, including restrictions of your buying and selling privileges and suspension of your account.
What are the guidelines?Allowed
- Antique skeleton keys
- Blank keys
- Depth keys
- Educational material on how to become a locksmith
- Key guides
- Replacement parts for key cutting machines
- Autolock bypass keys (also called jigglers)
- Bump keys
- Code grabbing devices
- Devices to make or duplicate keys or similar security devices, including:
- Key cutting machines - functional or not (includes automatic or hand-held manual cutting devices)
- Code cutters
- Cam cutters
- Devices designed to pick a lock:
- Lockpick tool sets
- Lockpick cards
- Lockpick gun
- Tubular lock picks
- Digital decoders
- Educational material on how to pick a lock
- Master keys (also called skeleton keys)
- Slim-jims (including roadside emergency kits that may contain this device)
- Tension bars
- Try-out keys
For more information, visit the Legal Information Institute's U.S. Code collection:
- Sec. 3002a. - Nonmailability of locksmithing devices - opens in new window or tab
- Sec. 1716A. - Nonmailable locksmithing devices and motor vehicle master keys - opens in new window or tab
Why does eBay have this policy?
Lockpicking and locksmithing devices are highly regulated in the United States. It's against the law to mail locksmithing devices, or to sell them to unauthorized buyers. Because most eBay purchases are delivered by mail and we can't tell if buyers are authorized, we don't allow these devices on eBay.