You can list three types of gift cards on eBay.com: retail gift cards, paper-based gift certificates, and phone cards for minutes. You should also make sure to include the card's expiration date in your listing, if it has one.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are there any other limits?
If you're selling retail gift cards, you must have the card physically available when you list it, and must post it within 5 days of receiving payment. You also can't sell retail gift cards with a value of more than $500.
Can I sell electronically delivered gift cards?
No, electronically delivered gift cards are easy to replicate, and so create a risk of fraud.
Prepaid cards with Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express logos are also prohibited because they could contain sensitive personal information.
Read our full policy
Gift cards policy overview
You can sell most gift cards on eBay, though there are a few restrictions. This includes the number of gift cards you can offer at a time, the maximum dollar amount of the gift card, and the types of cards you can list. For more details, review our guidelines below.
Make sure your listing follows these guidelines. If it doesn't, it may be removed, and you may be subject to a range of other actions, including restrictions of your buying and selling privileges and suspension of your account.
What are the guidelines?Allowed
- Gift cards for a travel agency (For gift cards for travel services like airline tickets, see the guidelines in the Restricted section below)
- Paper-based gift certificates
- Phone cards for minutes (For cards with a dollar amount, see the gift card guidelines in the Restricted section below)
- Collectible gift cards with no redemption value can be listed, as long as sellers specify in the listing that there's no dollar amount on the card
- For stores or companies going through bankruptcy or going out of business, you can list their gift card only if it's still being accepted as a form of payment. If there's an expiration date, be sure to specify it in your listing
- Gift cards can be listed as long as you meet all of the following requirements:
- The total face value of all gift cards listed by a seller at a given time is $500 or less
- You have the card in hand at the time you list it, and you must ship within 5 days of the date your item was purchased
At our discretion, we may approve authorized resellers or direct suppliers to list gift cards without these restrictions
- Gift cards for travel services (such as airline tickets, lodging, and so on) have to be listed in the Travel > Other category. For more details, see our travel policy
- Electronically delivered gift cards
- Prepaid credit cards (or money cards) from American Express, Discover, MasterCard, or Visa. For details, see our credit and debit cards policy
- Store or merchandise credit in the form of a receipt
eBay gift cards can only be sold by authorized sellers.
Note: We allow approved third-party retailers or service providers to sell electronically-delivered gift cards on eBay, provided they meet specific additional requirements.
Why does eBay have this policy?
We understand that you may have gift cards that you can't use or would like to sell. The restrictions on the value and the frequency of gift card listings are in place to promote a safer and more satisfying experience on eBay.