We know that these cards can have considerable collectible value but their sale raises risks around the transfer of personal information.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I sell my old credit card?
You can only sell your credit card if it's inactive, and has been expired for over 10 years. Read our full policy for further details.
Can I sell a blank credit card?
Yes, you can list blank plastic cards, either with or without magnetic strips.
Read our full policy
Credit and debit cards policy overview
Some types of cards are considered collectible and may have some value to certain collectors. eBay allows the listing of inactive credit or debit cards, as long as the expiration date on the face of the card is at least 10 years old.
Before listing this type of item, you must:
- Block out or blur the name and part of the number on the card if including a picture in the listing
- Include the expiration date in the description and picture
- Look at the terms and conditions from the issuing card company to make sure the sale of the expired card is allowed. Some credit and debit card companies keep ownership even after the card expires
Make sure your listing follows these guidelines. If it doesn't, it may be removed, and you may be subject to a range of other actions, including limits of your buying and selling privileges and suspension of your account.
What are the guidelines?Allowed
- Blank plastic cards, with or without magnetic strips
- Inactive credit and debit cards that expired at least 10 years ago
- Expired, pre-paid credit cards that expired at least 10 years ago and cannot be reactivated
- Currently active bank credit or debit cards
- Currently active store credit cards
- Pre-paid Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover cards, regardless of the amount on the card
- Expired bank or store cards that have been expired less than 10 years
- Cards still owned by the company or card issuer, even after the card has expired
- Non-embossed bank or store credit cards
- Offers of credit and credit accounts aren’t allowed under our securities policy
Why does eBay have this policy?
eBay is always looking for ways to improve the buying and selling experience. As part of this effort, eBay urges sellers and buyers to follow all governmental regulations and laws. Unexpired credit or debit cards can't lawfully be transferred from one person to another, and sellers may not list such items. The transfer of recently expired credit cards raises privacy concerns and creates the potential for abuse. These items also aren’t allowed to be listed.