You can only sell compilation and informational items using the Classified Ad format.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are compilation and informational items?
Compilation items are typically a CD containing a range of informational products, such as e-books, and other digital files like templates, images, or screen savers.
Informational items include a broad range of educational products – from e-books and PDF files to Word documents – that are recorded or copied onto a media format like a CD or DVD.
Can I give away a free CD containing informational products with purchases over $100?
No, you can't combine a compilation or informational item with another listing.
Read our full policy
Compilation and informational items policy overview
You can sell compilation and informational items on eBay as long as you list them in the Everything Else > Information Products category, using the Classified Ad format.
Make sure your listing follows these guidelines. If it doesn't, it may be removed, and you may be subject to a range of other actions, including restrictions on your buying and selling privileges and suspension of your account.
What are the guidelines?Restricted
- Electronic books (e-books) listed in the Everything Else > Information Products category, using the Classified Ad format
- Wholesale lists listed in the Everything Else > Information Products category, using the Classified Ad format
- Listings for compilation or informational items containing any cross-category information
- Combining a compilation or informational item as a bonus item with any other listing
- Listings containing any specific brand names or keywords unless the listing is offering the brand-name product. (See also our search and browse manipulation policy)
- Listings containing excessive keywords to describe the contents of a compilation or informational item
- Offering information on how to either purchase specific items or receive them for free outside of eBay
- Listings which include web addresses or links (for example, www.gotomyownwebsite.com) that enable buyers to purchase items outside of eBay. (See also our links policy)
If your item is sent by email or is downloaded from a website, please also see our digitally delivered goods policy.
Why does eBay have this policy?
We're making sure that compilation and informational items are listed in the appropriate category so buyers know what they're getting. We're also trying to prevent the use of keyword spamming because it causes misleading search results. Keyword spamming is when sellers put unrelated words or details in their listings (such as brand names and pop culture terms) for maximum – but unfair – visibility in search results.