If you think you've been targeted by a gift card scam, you'll find information on what to do in our article on protecting yourself against gift card scams
eBay gift cards can be used to pay for almost any item on our site. You can use your gift card to pay for all or part of your next purchase.
Buying an eBay gift card
Digital gift cards are currently unavailable on eBay as we develop a better-than-ever experience to be launched soon, however some online retailers stock them. You can also purchase our physical gift cards at CVS, Walgreens, and other retailers - opens in new window or tab near you.
Paying with an eBay gift card
You’ll need to use your redemption code to pay for an item with your gift card. Here’s where you’ll find your gift card redemption code:
- Digital cards - The code is in the email we sent you
- Physical cards - Scratch off the security coating on the back of the card to reveal the code
When you're ready to make a purchase, here’s how to pay with your eBay gift card at checkout:
- Enter your shipping and payment details.
- Scroll to the bottom of the checkout page and enter the gift card redemption code in the Add coupons field.
- Select Apply to see your new total.
- Check your details again and select Confirm and pay.
If you don't have enough money on your gift card to cover the total cost of an item outright, you can pay the remaining cost using another payment method, such as a credit card, Apple Pay, Google Pay, or PayPal.
Check your eBay gift card balance
It’s always a good idea to check your gift card balance before you go to checkout. To view your card's balance, go to our gift card balance checker - opens in new window or tab or select the button below and enter your 13-digit gift card redemption code.
Check your gift card balance - opens in new window or tab
If there's a remaining balance on your gift card after you’ve used it, the balance will remain on the card and can be used the next time you buy an item on eBay.
If you return an item you bought with an eBay gift card, the amount you used on the gift card will be refunded. You can then use the gift card redemption code again as long as you're using the same eBay account.
Gift card restrictions
There are a few restrictions to keep in mind when using eBay gift cards:
- You can’t use an eBay gift card to buy bullion, coins, paper money, virtual currency, coupons, or other gift cards
- You can use up to 4 gift card and/or promotion codes per transaction. The codes include eBay gift cards, eBay Bucks, and coupons
- Gift cards are linked to your account on the first use. Once you use it, your card cannot be used with another eBay account
You'll find more information about eBay gift cards on our frequently asked questions - opens in new window or tab page, or see the full terms and conditions - opens in new window or tab.