eBay gift cards can be used to pay for almost any item on our site. You can use your gift card to pay for all or part of your next purchase.
Buying an eBay gift card
You can choose between physical and digital eBay gift cards. Digital gift cards are sent by email, and there are plenty of designs and occasions to choose from. Take a look at our range of gift cards - opens in new window or tab and decide which best suits you.
Physical gift cards are mailed to an address you choose, with free shipping. Many local retailers also stock physical gift cards, so you can pick one up anytime. See our full list of participating retailers - opens in new window or tab.
Once you’ve decided on a design, here’s how to purchase your eBay gift card:
- Choose the amount you’d like to add to the gift card from the List price dropdown menu.
- Select the Buy It Now button.
- Enter your payment details and select Confirm and pay.
Keep in mind that it can take up to 3 hours for the email with your digital gift card to arrive. If it’s been longer than that, check your spam or junk folder.
Paying with an eBay gift card
You’ll need to use your redemption code to pay for an item with your gift card. Here’s where you’ll find your gift card redemption code:
- Digital cards - The code is in the email we sent you
- Physical cards - Scratch off the security coating on the back of the card to reveal the code
When you're ready to make a purchase, here’s how to pay with your eBay gift card at checkout:
- Enter your shipping and payment details.
- Scroll to the bottom of the checkout page and enter the gift card redemption code in the Add coupons field.
- Select Apply to see your new total.
- Check your details again and select Confirm and pay.
If you don't have enough money on your gift card to cover the total cost of an item outright, you can pay the remaining cost using another payment method, such as a credit card, Apple Pay, Google Pay, or PayPal.
Check your eBay gift card balance
It’s always a good idea to check your gift card balance before you go to checkout. To view your card's balance, go to our gift card balance checker - opens in new window or tab or select the button below and enter your 13-digit gift card redemption code.
If there's a remaining balance on your gift card after you’ve used it, the balance will remain on the card and can be used the next time you buy an item on eBay.
If you return an item you bought with an eBay gift card, the amount you used on the gift card will be refunded. You can then use the gift card redemption code again as long as you're using the same eBay account.
Gift card restrictions
There are a few restrictions to keep in mind when using eBay gift cards:
- You can’t use an eBay gift card to buy bullion, coins, paper money, virtual currency, coupons, or other gift cards
- You can use up to 4 gift card and/or promotion codes per transaction. The codes include eBay gift cards, eBay Bucks, and coupons
- Gift cards are linked to your account on the first use. Once you use it, your card cannot be used with another eBay account
You'll find more information about eBay gift cards on our frequently asked questions - opens in new window or tab page, or see the full terms and conditions - opens in new window or tab.