eBay gift cards are available in digital and physical versions, and can be used towards the purchase of almost any item on our site.
When you buy something on eBay, you can apply your gift card at checkout. Any unused amount will go to the eBay gift card balance - opens in new window or tab on your account. If you don't have enough money on your gift card to buy your item outright, you simply need to cover the remaining balance using another payment method, such as a credit card or PayPal.
Buying a gift card
Digital gift cards are sent via email, and there are plenty of designs and occasions to choose from. Take a look at our range of gift cards - opens in new window or tab and decide which best suits you.
Physical gift cards are mailed to an address you choose, with free shipping. Many local retailers stock physical gift cards too so you can pick one up anytime. See our full list of participating retailers - opens in new window or tab for more.
Redeeming eBay gift cards
When you're ready to use your gift card to pay for an item, simply enter the redemption code in the Gift cards, coupons, and eBay Bucks field toward the bottom of the page at checkout.
- With digital cards, you'll find the code in the email you receive
- With physical cards, you'll need to scratch off the security coating from the back of the card to reveal the code
If there's a remaining balance on your gift card after you check out, we'll add it to your eBay account - opens in new window or tab. You can use it the next time you buy an item on eBay.
To view your balance, simply go to our Gift Card Balance Checker - opens in new window or tab and enter your 13-digit redemption code.
If you return an item you bought with an eBay gift card, the amount you used on the gift card will be refunded. You can then use the gift card redemption code again, as long as you're using the same eBay account.
Gift card restrictions
There are a few restrictions when using eBay gift cards.
- The seller must accept PayPal
- You must have a PayPal account that is linked to your bank account or credit card
- eBay gift cards can't be used to buy bullion, coins, paper money, virtual currency, coupons, or other gift cards
- Up to eight gift card and/or promotion codes are accepted per transaction. The codes include eBay gift cards, eBay Bucks, and coupons
You'll find more information about eBay gift cards on our frequently asked questions - opens in new window or tab page.
Protecting yourself from gift card scams
To make sure your eBay gift card codes are safe from scammers, follow these tips:
- Never give your eBay gift card redemption code or number to anyone
- Only redeem eBay gift cards when paying for an item at checkout on eBay
- Remember, if we need you to update your account or provide any information to eBay, we always send a copy of our request to your Messages - opens in new window or tab folder in My eBay. So always check there first. We'll never ask you to email us your personal information
If you receive what you believe to be a suspicious or scam email, let us know by forwarding it to email@example.com.