eBay gift cards are available digitally and physically and can be used to pay for almost any item on our site.
Buying a gift card
Digital gift cards are sent via email, and there are plenty of designs and occasions to choose from. Take a look at our range of gift cards - opens in new window or tab and decide which best suits you.
Physical gift cards are mailed to an address you choose, with free shipping. Many local retailers also stock physical gift cards, so you can pick one up anytime. See our full list of participating retailers - opens in new window or tab.
Once you’ve decided on a design, select Buy It Now on the listing, enter the amount you’d like to add to the gift card, and complete your purchase at checkout.
Redeeming an eBay gift card
When you're ready to use your gift card to pay for an item, enter the redemption code in the Add coupons field at the bottom of the checkout page.
To find your gift card redemption code:
- For digital cards - The code is in the email we sent you
- For physical cards - Scratch off the security coating on the back of the card to reveal the code
If there's a remaining balance on your gift card after you check out, it will remain on the card and can be used the next time you buy an item on eBay.
Gift cards are linked to your account on the first use. Once you use it, your card cannot be used by another eBay account.
Check your eBay gift card balance
It’s always a good idea to check your gift card balance before you go to checkout. To view your card's balance, go to our gift card balance checker - opens in new window or tab or select the button below and enter your 13-digit gift card redemption code.
If the balance on your card is more than the cost of the item, the unused amount will stay on the card and you can use it on your next purchase.
If you don't have enough money on your gift card to cover the total cost of an item, you can pay the remaining cost using another payment method, such as a credit card, Apple Pay, Google Pay, or PayPal.
If you return an item you bought with an eBay gift card, the amount you used on the gift card will be refunded. You can then use the gift card redemption code again as long as you're using the same eBay account.
Gift card restrictions
There are a few restrictions to keep in mind when using eBay gift cards:
- You can’t use an eBay gift card to buy bullion, coins, paper money, virtual currency, coupons, or other gift cards
- You can use up to 4 gift card and/or promotion codes per transaction. The codes include eBay gift cards, eBay Bucks, and coupons
You'll find more information about eBay gift cards on our frequently asked questions - opens in new window or tab page, or see the full terms and conditions - opens in new window or tab.
Protecting yourself from gift card scams
To make sure your eBay gift card codes are safe from scammers, follow these tips:
- Treat your eBay gift card redemption code like cash
- Never share your gift card code with anyone outside of eBay
- Your eBay gift card can only be redeemed at checkout on eBay.com
- Do not use your gift card to pay anyone outside of the eBay platform
We will never ask you to email your personal information. Remember, if eBay needs you to update your account or provide any information, we always send a copy of our request to your Messages - opens in new window or tab folder in My eBay. Always check there first.
If you believe that you are a victim of a gift card scam:
- Immediately contact eBay Customer Service.
- eBay Customer Service may ask you to forward suspicious emails about eBay gift cards you bought to firstname.lastname@example.org and include the first 9 digits of your eBay gift card in your message.
- Report the scam to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) or, if you're outside the United States, you can report the scam to your local consumer protection agency or report it to econsumer.gov - opens in new window or tab.
- Keep the eBay card itself and your receipt for the eBay card.
Go to FTC.gov/giftcards - opens in new window or tab to learn more about gift card scams.