Chevrolet Corvette Windshield Wiper Systems
An automobile's windshield wipers are a vital element of the car's performance. Wipers keep the windshield clear of rain and snow so that the driver can see the road ahead clearly and avoid accidents. Because windshield wipers get a lot of use, you will need to replace the wipers on your Chevrolet Corvette periodically.When should you change the car's wiper blades?
It's important to replace a car's windshield wiper blades ever year or whenever they begin to show signs of wear. A worn-out blade will not keep the windshield clear of rain water, which can impair the driver's ability to see other cars and hazards in the road. These are some clues that your car needs new windshield wiper blades:
- Streaks on the windshield. If your wipers are leaving streaks or unclear areas on your windshield, try cleaning them with a cloth or paper towel. If the problem remains, it's time to replace the blades.
- The blades rattle or make noise. Windshield wipers should move nearly silently across the windshield. If they begin to make a rattling noise, it means they're sticking to the glass and need to be replaced.
- Visible imperfections. Even if your windshield wipers are doing their job, replace them if you see cracks or bulges in the rubber. Visible damage means they're about to fail.
- The bracket is bent. If the metal part of your wipers have been bent, perhaps by severe weather or other damaging events, replace them. Bent wipers mean the blades will not make contact with the windshield.
Unless the entire mechanism is damaged, you will only need to replace the rubber blade portion of the windshield wipers in order to get them working correctly again. Make sure the metal parts and the motor are in good condition before you replace each blade. Replacing the windshield wiper blade is easy once you have learned the steps:
- Measure your existing wiper blades to made sure you buy the right size. Check both blades, because sometimes one is longer than the other.
- Bend the wipers away from the windshield and find the small pins or clips that hold the blade in place.
- Open the the clips and remove the old rubber.
- Slide in the new, replacement blade until it snaps into place.
There are a few styles of wiper blade. They each differ in how they are constructed and whether they are designed to be used in a winter climate. Any of these types of wipers can be used on your Corvette. The three main ones are as follows:
- Traditional windshield wipers. These are the standard wipers that came equipped on all cars before 2000. They use a metal bracket to hold the blades.
- Hingeless or beam-style wipers. Instead of using a standard bracket, these wipers are made of a single piece of flexible plastic. They are standard on many post-2000 cars.
- Winter wipers. These are just like traditional wipers, but they're covered in a layer of rubber to keep snow and ice from gathering on the blade.