The Univega bicycle company was launched in 1970 and originally catered to mountain bikers with a thirst for adventure. Since then the company has developed a variety of bikes for riders with on-road and off-road interests alike.Which Univega bicycles are suitable for road biking?
Univega road bikes are generally thinner bicycles, with narrower wheels that are pumped up to a higher pressure. This combination allows you to go faster with the same amount of effort than when riding a mountain bike, which is designed to withstand more rugged terrain. Road bikes are frequently used during triathlons and sport racing competitions. Univega road bike models include the Boralite, Gran Rally, Modo Sincere, Pro Comp, Tour, and R7.2, R7.4, and R7.6.Are there Univega bicycles that are good for commuting?
There are a few road bikes that Univega has made that may appeal to the commuter or everyday casual rider. These bicycles combine the thinner frames of road bikes with more comfortable seating, hybrid wheels, and the option to attach baskets or panniers for transporting bags and jackets.
- The Islander: This cruiser bike has Shimano Tourney TY-22 components and MRX-170 Quickshift shifters. The steel frame can come in black or in bright colors like red and pink.
- The Zig Zag: This bicycle has a chromoly frame, seven speeds, freewheel rear cogs, and a Shimano AceraX derailleur.
- The Super G: The Super G is a fully rigid BMX/cruiser bike. The bike has an aluminum and chromoly four-bolt Lee Chi stem and a YST headset.
When riding uphill, downhill, or cross-country, bicycles need to have wider, sturdy tires and strong frames. Mountain bikes should have suspension to absorb the impacts that come with uneven terrain, and a wide range of gear options and easy shifting is critical for maintaining momentum. Univega mountain bike models include:
- Alpina: Features an aluminum, chromoly, and steel frame.
- Boralyn: This bicycle has a metal matrix composite Boralyn frame and Deore LX RapidFire Plus shifters.
- DS-600: Has a full-suspension, steel Acecast DV-6/3 frame.
- FS-700: This bicycle features fork suspension, an aluminum frame, and STX-RC components.
Univega’s Impulse E-Mountain line of bicycles that use a battery to assist the cyclist. The central battery is located under the top tube, as this location is an optimal place for weight distribution. In the Impulse 2.0 e-bike, the central motor has up to 70 Nm starting torque and either 250 or 350 watts. You can gain up to 45 km/h support when engaging the motor. Other features may include:
- Rechargeable batteries with ranges up to 205 miles/135 km
- Shift sensor technology that allows for smooth gear shifting
- Climb assist, which allows for constant uphill cycling in addition to continual motor support