What You Should Know About T12 LED Bulbs
LED tubes are a low-energy alternative to fluorescent tubes. Some tubes can use your existing ballasts and will be constructed with an acrylic or plastic lens instead of the glass used in fluorescents. You can use the enclosed tubes for indoor or outdoor lighting.What are some features of a T12 LED tube?
The new and used T12 LED bulbs on eBay are available for great prices. Here are some of the features offered:
- Instant on: LED bulbs and tubes are designed to go to full brightness when electricity is applied. This works in cold weather as well.
- Multiple colors: White colors are the most common types used for lighting. LED usage allows for additional colors such as blue, green, red, yellow, and orange.
- Heatsink: LED bulbs will feature a heatsink to pull away the heat produced by the LED bulbs.
- Directional lighting: LEDs focus the light in a single direction. Some LEDs will have a dial that allows you to adjust the beam angle.
- Choose a wattage: Gather information on your current fluorescent tubes. Most LEDs will specify the fluorescent wattage that they are replacing.
- Select a bulb shape: Some common options include LED panels, tubes, and standard shapes.
- Choose a color temperature: This will be stated in Kelvin (K) and ranges from soft white (2700 Kelvin) up to daylight (6500 Kelvin) colors. The higher values will have a whiter color.
- Choose features: Some LEDs work with dimmers, motion sensors, and other tools that control lighting. Other features include frosted covers that adjust the amount of light.
These versatile T12 LED bulbs come in various types:
- Ballast bypass: These are sometimes referred to as direct wire LED light bulbs. This type ignores the existing ballasts and connects directly to the line voltage. The line voltage will typically be installed on a single side of the tubes. With this option you can use the existing T12 non-shunted tombstones.
- Universal: This type allows you to remove the old fluorescent tube and replace it with a universal tube. Universal uses the existing magnetic ballast of the T12.
- Hybrid: Hybrid tubes can be used with an electronic ballast, or they can be wired similarly to a direct wire system. This allows for flexibility if you need to use a mix in a building.