Choosing a New Subwoofer for Your Car
A subwoofer is a kind of speaker that produces low frequencies in audio, which can improve your listening experience no matter what genre of music you like to listen to. Having one in your car stereo system can really make a difference as it lets you feel all depths and lows whether it's deep talking, bass guitar, or drums. You can find a range of subwoofers in different sizes from Pioneer, including 12-inch options.
What Should You Consider Before Deciding?
As with many things, subwoofers are not a one-size-fits-all kind of product. Some points to remember before choosing a Pioneer sub include:
- Size: Bigger subs are ideal if you have plenty of space and want loud and low bass in your vehicle. Smaller subwoofers should still be considered though, as some can give some stiff competition to their larger counterparts in terms of output quality.
- Number of voice coils: Many subs have a single voice coil, but you can find dual-voice coil models that give you more flexibility in wiring your sound system.
- Power: Choose a subwoofer based on its RMS power ratings not its peak power ratings since they are a much realistic measure of power output.
- Enclosure type: Bandpass and ported enclosures give more volume whereas sealed boxes produce more accurate and deep audio.
What Kinds of Subwoofers Are There?
- Component subs: This is just the speaker itself and to operate it needs to be placed in a subwoofer box. You can find them in 12" as well as smaller or bigger, and they have different voice coil setups.
- Enclosed subs: Rather than separately obtaining an enclosure for your sub, you can choose an enclosed sub. These are already pre-mounted into a box and require less work to get your system up and running.
- Powered subs: Powered subs are a great space saving system as they combine a woofer and an amp together in one enclosure. They have simple installation and can complement a factory stereo system.
What Products Can You Find from This Brand?
Yamaha has a selection of 12-inch subwoofer products. You can choose a single sub with different wattage numbers such as 1200 W, 1300 W, or 2000 W. The higher the wattage number, the more powerful the sub can be. You can also find performance series bundles that include the sub, box, amp, and installation wiring. When installing your subwoofer, make sure to read instructions carefully to ensure that you set up the wiring and speaker correctly.
Content provided for informational purposes only. eBay is not affiliated with or endorsed by Pioneer.