Vintage Americana From the '30s to the '60s: Original Advertising Signs
From Coca-Cola to Levi's jeans, vintage advertising signs are always alluring to lovers of classic Americana. Whether you are decorating your home or office or just love vintage pieces of American history, here are some tips on buying old signs for sale on eBay.What affects the price of vintage signs?
Vintage signs can range anywhere from a few dollars to several thousands of dollars. Here are some factors that affect the price of antique signs for sale.
- Condition: In some cases, signs that are in mint condition can be priced higher than signs that are worn or distressed. In other cases, however, fading, rust, and other signs of distress can actually add vintage charm to a piece and drive up the price rather than driving it down.
- Material: Vintage signs can be made of metal, paper, porcelain, or any number of other materials, which can have a significant impact on the price.
- Rarity or special features: Some vintage brands may have been hugely popular but were only in business for a few years. Other signs may have rare or unusual features that help drive up demand, which can also drive up the price.
Vintage signs can run the gamut from classic movie posters to metal advertising signs. Here are some different types of vintage signs you might look for.
- Neon signs: From diners to motels, many businesses used neon signs, which can add character and charm to your dining room, living room, or man cave.
- Road signs: From the garage to the garden, vintage road signs can add a quirky element to all types of design.
- Business signs: For Sale signs, signs for diners, bars, and other establishments can all be found for sale. You may even find a vintage sign for your own business.
- Advertising signs: From brands that are still a household name to more obscure brands from the '30s to the '60s, you can find a wide range of vintage signs for sale.
- Movie posters: If you love classic American cinema, then you might look for classic movie posters to decorate your room, living room, or home cinema.
Vintage signs come from a number of different sources. In some cases, old buildings may be in the process of being torn down and some of the signage may be saved and resold. Other times, collectors are paring down their collections or someone may stumble across a treasure trove of old signs in their grandmother's garage or grandfather's basement. Some vintage signs are the genuine article, while others are reproductions, so make sure and ask questions before you buy.