Mitutoyo produces a series of measuring and metalworking instruments. Here are some questions that may come up when making a selection among the many Mitutoyo products.What is the difference between a digimatic and dial caliper?
A caliper is used when you need precise dimensions for an object. Understanding the different calipers that Mitutoyo offers can be helpful when choosing a tool for your work.
- Mitutoyo produces digimatic calipers shows measurements on a digital display. A digimatic caliper can also be useful if you need to get measurements for both metric and imperial sizes.
- Dial calipers will have a dial indicator. Many dial calipers will have a quadri feature that allows them to take inside, outside, depth, and step measurements.
Selecting the right Mitutoyo caliper can be complicated, but following these steps may be helpful in the selection process.
- Select a measuring range. Mitutoyo calipers are produced in a variety of lengths. The length of the caliper will determine the size of objects you can measure.
- Select a style. Mitutoyo produces both digital calipers and mechanical precision instruments.
- Choose a material. Some calipers will have special coatings to protect the caliper or the object you’re measuring.
- Select a graduation. This will determine the smallest distance that the caliper can measure. Smaller values will indicate how precise the Mitutoyo caliper is.
When selecting a digimatic caliper from Mitutoyo, there are many features to consider. Here are a few of them.
- LCD screen. Digimatic calipers with an LCD screen can sometimes measure sizes down to a thousandth of an inch, depending on the model you choose.
- Data functionality. Some calipers can be connected to your computer so that you can gather data electronically instead of recording it manually.
- Comparative functionality. Some digimatic caliper models will have additional buttons that allow you to take comparative readings that can be helpful if you need to compare two similar objects of different sizes.
- Unit conversion. This feature lets you work with both metric and imperial systems. For example, some models have a switch that allows you to toggle between the two measurement systems.
A micrometer is another tool that Mitutoyo manufactures. It is used for getting precise measurements from small objects. With a micrometer, you can measure the depth, length, and thickness of an object. Micrometers are sometimes used in mechanical engineering and machining settings. The spindle and anvils on micrometers will vary depending on the output and measurements that are needed.Content provided for informational purposes only. eBay is not affiliated with or endorsed by Mitutoyo.