Common Questions about Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 Operating System Software
Windows Server 2012 R2, also called Windows Server 8, introduced significant changes in the Windows Server series to improve information security, networking, storage, virtualization, web services, and more. With added features like work folders, desired state configuration, and more, Windows Server 2012 R2 is a server operating system found in this eBay collection offering agility and flexibility for your business.What does R2 in Windows Server 2012 mean?
Windows Server 2012 R2, a second release offered in October 2013, was the successor to Windows Server 2012. The release brought a long list of updates to Windows Server 2012, which was released in September 2012. Many of these are available at affordable prices on eBay.What new features were offered in Windows Server 2012 R2?
A few key features Windows Server 2012 R2 offers are described here:
- Dynamic NIC teaming: This allows greater granular balancing connected to flowlets, enhancing the performance of available resources.
- Powershell DSG extensions: With new Powershell desired state configuration (DSG) extensions part of Windows Powershell 4, elements in the data center are monitored to consistently maintain proper configuration.
- Site-to-site VPN gateway: This can provide better communication for high work loads.
- Tiered storage space: This provides improved scalability and performance. A blend of HDD and SSD can be used in single spaces.
- Work folders: The functionality of Dropbox was brought to corporate servers. The feature gives a fully functional, secure file replication service.
Both versions of Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard and Datacenter offer essentially the same features. The only difference between the two versions is the number of allowed Virtual Machines (VMs). With a Standard edition license, you can run up to two VMs on as many as two processors. With the Datacenter edition license, however, you can run an unlimited number of VMS but still with the limitation of two processors.How do you determine the best version for your needs?
Since the features between Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard and Datacenter editions are so similar, your decision will come down to your virtualization methods since virtualization rights are the only other substantial difference between the two. If your plan calls for a mostly virtualized environment, the Datacenter edition will give you the flexibility you need because the license is for unlimited virtualization. The Datacenter edition also gives you the flexibility to add and move virtual operating system environments (OSEs) across Datacenter licensed servers with no need to track any virtual OSE count on that server.
If a highly virtualized environment is not needed or central to your plan, the Standard edition will meet your needs. If your needs change in time, you have a couple of options. You can buy extra Standard edition licenses to assign to the same physical server for the rights to run additional instances of Windows Server where needed. You can also buy a Software Assurances Step-up license to the Datacenter edition and change to the higher license that allows you to virtualize as needed.Content provided for informational purposes only. eBay is not affiliated with or endorsed by Microsoft.