Weather and digging dogs can do a number on your lawn, leaving it uneven and unpleasant to walk on. A lawn roller easily fixes this common problem in an afternoon. Using a roller is the simplest way to transform your lawn into a place your family can enjoy and your neighbors will envy.
What is the point of a lawn roller?
- Leveling - Using a roller is the quickest way to flatten for a level lawn.
- Landscaping - Laying sod and grass seed is made simpler using a roller. It presses seeds into the soil for stronger establishment. Sod is stabilized for a durable lawn right away.
How do you fix a bumpy lawn?
A quick way to fix a bumpy lawn without having to mow your grass, rake up any leaves, dead grass, or roots that have built up, or repeat the process every few months to see results would be to use a lawn roller. After prepping your lawn roller, just pass the roller over your grass while it's dry. Be sure not to water your lawn beforehand, or the soil may become too compacted.
What do you fill a lawn roller with?
- Water - The most common filler for a lawn roller is water because it is cheap and easy to find and empties quickly. To fill a roller with water, just place a garden hose at the opening and leave it running until the roller reaches your desired weight.
- Sand - If filled with sand, your lawn roller will pass smoothly over your yard. Simply pour sand into the roller until it reaches your desired weight.
What models of lawn roller are available?
- Poly - A poly lawn roller is made out of a more durable type of plastic, polyethylene, which keeps it light and rustproof.
- Steel - Naturally heavy, steel is perfect for heavy duty applications. Steel rollers are often hitched to a tractor as a tow-behind for this reason
How often should you roll your lawn?
- When - Rolling should be done after seeding, laying sod, heavy winters, and animal digging or disturbance.
- How often - No matter what model you have, rolling should be only done once a year, or less, to avoid over-compacting the soil.
- Time of year - Spring is the perfect time for rolling. It can also be done any other time when the ground is not regularly frosted.