1 of 7
1 of 7
You May Also Like
- Nov 27, 2023Jordan 8 Winterized Mid Gunsmoke
- Nov 25, 2023Jordan 3 Retro Mid Fear Pack
- Nov 19, 2023Jordan 2 Retro Mid Italy
- Nov 18, 2023Nike Dunk Low Remastered Black Gold
- Nov 18, 2023Jordan 4 SE Retro Low Craft - Olive
- Nov 18, 2023Nike Dunk Low Be True
- Nov 17, 2023Jordan 6 Retro Low Gift Giving
- Nov 14, 2023Jordan Tatum 1 Mid Green Strike
- Nov 13, 2023Nike SB Dunk Low x April Skateboards Turbo Green
- Nov 11, 2023Nike Air Force 1 Low White/Photo Blue
- Nov 11, 2023Jordan 1 Low Aqua
- Nov 10, 2023Jordan 5 Retro SE Mid Reverse Georgetown
The Design of the Jordan 4 Retro Black Cat
Tinker Hatfield changed up the game on his second of many Air Jordan designs by amping up the performance and breathability. He kept the AJ 3's mid-cut height, the visible Air unit in the heel and the "Nike Air" emblem on the back. Hatfield also retained the signature Jumpman logo on the tongue.
The Air Jordan 4 implemented a more utilitarian approach. Here's what made it stand apart:
- Cost-effective Durabuck synthetic leather upper that wipes clean with ease
- An encapsulated Air unit added to the forefoot
- The word "Flight" incorporated into the Jumpman logo—Air Jordan is meant to fly, after all
- The addition of "wings," a multiport lacing system with extra holes for a customized fit and enhanced lateral support
- A pull tab added to the heel for an easier wearing experience
- "Over-molded" mesh paneling for increased breathability, the netting was coated with urethane, dipped in soft plastic, then air-blown to remove the plastic from the net's gaps
History of the Air Jordan 4
On May 7, 1989, the world witnessed "The Shot", an impossible feat for anyone other than His Airness. Michael Jordan pulled off this legendary buzzer-beater with assistance from his Black Cement Air Jordan 4s. It was MJ's fifth year in the league and a brilliant display of his growing dominance as a superstar.
The same could be said for Tinker Hatfield, the lead designer for the Air Jordan line. After the tremendous success of the Air Jordan 3, Hatfield had his work cut out for him. Coming on the heels of one of the most popular sneaker designs ever, did he dare mess with the formula? He opted to keep the overall design similar to its predecessor but boosted the performance features.
If the Air Jordan 3 saved Nike's partnership with Jordan, the Air Jordan 4 cemented it—primarily due to the inspired design efforts of Hatfield.
Jordan 4 Retro Black Cat 2020
The Jordan 4 Retro Black Cat is made of nubuck and suede leathers with mesh netted paneling. It was released on January 22, 2020, as the first retro of the Jordan 4 Black Cat. These Jordans feature an oversized heel counter, thermoplastic lace lock wings, and an Air unit visibility window in the heels. In addition to Air units, the sneakers use polyurethane midsoles for cushioning. The outsoles are made of rubber with a multi-directional herringbone pattern for traction. The colorway takes on a predominantly black theme with only the tongue's Jumpman logo in grey. White was used for the Jumpman logo on the bottoms of the shoes.
Presenting the Air Jordan 4 Retro Mid Black Cat - FAQs
How is the Air Jordan 4 different from its predecessors?
There are a few new updates to the Air Jordan 4 Retro Black Cat that the buyer should be aware of. First and foremost, the new sneaker is predominantly embellished in a bolder black makeup than its predecessor. The finish is also slightly different on this model than on some of the older ones.
How is the new shoe similar to past models?
Although it features some updates, the new shoe is also remarkably similar to past versions. For example, you should note that it generally offers the same constructions as the original. This includes such design features as the matte-finished nubuck materials across the uppers. Also in place are the signature eye stays. These have now been done up in a glossy black.
The Black Cat, named in honor of Michael Jordan himself, is largely a mirror of the original 2006 release. It features a monochromatic silhouette of nubuck leather. The shoe also comes equipped with a specially designed graphite matte finish. Buyers will quickly observe that the show still contains such recognizable OG features like hardshell molds. These are fixed in place in order to hold down the lace stay.
Who is the Air Jordan 4 designed for?
The Air Jordan 4 and all of its variants are designed primarily for the use of basketball players. The sneaker has been engineered in order to withstand a great deal of wear and tear both on and off of the court.
Content provided for informational purposes only. eBay is not affiliated with or endorsed by Nike.