A Quick Guide to Hunting Knives and Tools
Guns aren't all you'll need when out on a hunting trip. A good hunting knife has far too many uses to be left behind and, unlike traditional cutlery equipment, these kinds of blades can do jobs like skinning, whittling, or cutting. Hunting knives and tools are great assets to any hunter while out in the woods, picking up the slack that your other equipment may not be able to handle.What kind of knives make good hunting knives?
There are a variety of knives on eBay you could potentially use while out on a hunting trip. Different choices work in different situations. For instance, certain knives are made specifically for gutting animals, while others are for boning, and still more are for finishing them off. Some hunting knives and tools are made to be weapons for hunting. As each kind of knife is specialized for a certain task, many hunters even elect to bring several different kinds of knives with them. Here are a few knife types that could work well on your next hunting trip.
- Camp: Camp knives are all-purpose knives designed to do various tasks around the campsite. Short and slim, they're good for activities like whittling wood, gutting fish, and more.
- Caping: Caping knives are short and thin, utilizing a curved blade with an upturned point. They are used for caping an animal or removing the skin on the neck and head for making trophies.
- Bowie: Bowie knives are large, fixed blade weapons with a clipped point. Originally used for combat, they're good for killing animals and can cut through small branches.
- Skinning: Skinning knives have short, thin blades and a razor-sharp edge. Due to the fact they're used to cut the skin off of animals, many feature textured or non-slip grips to help the owner keep a good hold while covered in blood and other fluids.
- Buck: Buck knives are designed with a folding blade, often considered a style of pocket knife. They feature a short blade with a clipped point and are good for tending to campsite needs like branches for kindling.
Hunting knives of all kinds can be of use to you during a camping trip. Outside of those specialized for different tasks, a general all-purpose camp or buck knife is great for many tasks. Many people use them when cutting ropes while setting up tents. They can be used to kill an animal you've shot and incapacitated, too, or they can even take the place of a more specialized blade when cutting apart the carcass in a pinch. They also work well when gutting and boning fish.How should you select a hunting knife on eBay?
When you're searching for the ideal hunting knife, eBay offers up the following categories to help with your selection:
- Brand: You can choose options like Benchmade, Browning, Buck Knives, Cold Steel, Gerber, Kershaw, Outdoor Edge, and Spyderco.
- Category: Options include fixed blades, folding blades, knife sets, and more.
- Condition: You can purchase a new hunting knife or a used one.