Fuel tanks for the Chevrolet Camaro
The fuel tank plays a vital role in delivering fuel to the engine of your Chevrolet Camaro. When you need to find a replacement, there are many options available. Here are some questions that may come up when selecting a fuel tank.What types of fuel tanks are there?
Tanks can come in a variety of materials that have different advantages. When selecting a fuel tank for your Camaro, understanding the material options can help in the selection process.
- Metal gas tanks can be durable compared to other materials. Tanks made of steel are designed to withstand higher temperatures, which is an additional safety feature. Metal tanks also leak less fuel compared to other materials. Galvanized steel options have a special coating to help with corrosion.
- Plastic gas tanks are typically made of polyethylene. The construction allows for flexibility in the design, and the tanks can be customized to fit in a variety of shapes and sizes. They are typically lightweight, and since no metal is used, the tanks will not corrode over time.
The fuel sending unit in your fuel tank consists of a rod, floater, and other components. It monitors the fuel levels in your Chevrolet Camaro and sends the information to the computer. When replacing a fuel tank for your Chevrolet, you may also want to select a replacement fuel sending unit that is compatible with your Camaro.What are some tips for selecting a fuel tank?
Selecting a fuel tank for your Chevrolet Camaro can be overwhelming with the number of options available. Following these tips can be helpful when making a selection for your car.
- Select a fuel tank that is compatible with your car. You will want to know the make, model, and year of your vehicle. You may also want to know the production date for the car in cases where the factory has switched parts in the middle of the year.
- Select a style. Some fuel tanks will be designed for performance/race modifications with increased fuel capacity. Others will be made of lighter materials that can help with gas mileage.
- Select a brand. You can choose from various factory direct options and aftermarket replacements that are compatible with your car.
If you prefer to use an original equipment manufacturer fuel tank, you can select from those produced by Chevrolet, General Motors, and ACDelco. OEM replacements are built to the same factory specifications as the ones installed on your Camaro. Dorman, Gates, Motorad, and other companies produce aftermarket fuel tanks that are compatible with your car. With aftermarket options, you may need to make some adjustments so that the tank fits properly in your car. There are also several unbranded options as well.