When added to eye makeup looks, eyeliner can enhance and change the shape of your eye. Depending on your style and needs, eyeliner can be waterproof or be smudged to soften the eyes. Because there are a large variety of different eye products available, finding the cosmetic products that work for you can be tricky.
What types of eyeliner are there?
There are three basic types of eyeliners: pencil, liquid, and gel.
- Pencil - Eye pencils can be used to trace the upper and lower lash lines and in the upper and lower waterlines. Eye pencils come in a variety of colors, shades, and finishes, from basic black to white and glitter.
- Liquid - Liquid eyeliner creates clean lines on the upper eyelid. They come in either felt-tip pen form or in brush form.
- Gel - Gel eyeliner comes in a pot and usually includes a brush. This type of cosmetic product can be used to quickly draw and fill in cat eyes or wings. It can smudge until it dries down, so using a light, steady hand to apply it is recommended.
How do you put on liquid eyeliner?
Applying liquid liner after you have completed the rest of your makeup can be a daunting task, especially for those new to makeup. Liquid liners that come in pen form may be easier to use than brush liners for those getting the hang of applying liner.
- Step One - Steady the hand that will be applying the liner on a table. Using the other hand, gently pull the eyelid taut.
- Step Two - Start applying the liner where you feel comfortable. Some prefer to draw the wing for a cat eye first and then connect it to the lash line while others start at the inner corner or the midpoint.
- Step Three - Use small strokes to apply the eyeliner. Fill in any gaps. If you are comfortable, you can also glide the eyeliner onto the lid in one smooth stroke.
- Step Four - Use a cotton swab with eye makeup remover on it to remove any uneven sections or bumps.
How do you put on eyeliner on the bottom lid?
Applying pencil eyeliner to the bottom lid and waterline can create a beautiful smoky eye or add a finishing touch to a delicate, natural makeup look. It is recommended that you use a pencil eyeliner.
- Tip One - Keep the lines thin, especially if using a black or dark-brown pencil. Adding too much product to the bottom can enhance dark under-eye circles.
- Tip Two - Line only the outer corner to the middle of the lower lid. Adding black or dark pigment to the inner corner can make the eye look smaller.
- Tip Three - For smoky eyes, smudge the eyeliner to soften the line. You can also add eyeshadow in the same shade on top of the eyeliner.