Dog collars are extremely important accessories when it comes to owning a dog. Not only can collars help you train your dog, but they also help you keep your pet under control and secure around others. Dog collars come in numerous sizes, styles, and patterns so that you have a wide variety of options.What types of dog collars are there?
There are three main types of dog collars:
- Standard collars: These dog collars are made with a strip of material that is easy to put on and take off.
- Training collars: Also known as martingales, chain collars, and choke collars, these dog collars are designed to help you train your dog. They are usually half chain and half nylon. When the dog pulls, the dog collar becomes tighter.
- Safety collars: These dog collars have lights on them that allow drivers and other individuals to see your dog. They are designed for those who like to walk their dog early in the morning or late at night.
Dog collars are generally made from five different materials:
- Neoprene: This is a soft rubber material that is often found in wetsuits. Dog collars made with this material are waterproof, stretchy, and extremely durable. They are also fast-drying and are recommended for pets that have skin allergies to some materials.
- Chain: Dog collars made from chains are durable and can help you train stubborn dogs.
- Nylon: Pet collars made from nylon come in a variety of sizes and patterns. While they are not as durable as collars made from other types of materials, they will make your dog fashionable. They are practical for smaller dogs.
- Leather: High-quality leather dog collars are durable and breathable. They can be wiped clean and are able to be worn by pets who have some allergies or skin sensitivities.
- Faux leather: Also called pleather or vegan leather, dog collars made from this man-made material come in a variety of sizes and colors.
The easiest way to size a dog's neck is to use a measuring tape. If you do not have a flexible measuring tape, you can use a string to get the circumference of the dog's neck and lay it out on a ruler. The measurement should be taken between the ears and the collar bone where the dog collar will sit. Once you have the measurement, be sure to add 2 inches to the measurement to get the actual neck size. When you put the collar on, you should be able to slip two fingers underneath. If you cannot fit two fingers under the collar, it is too tight.