Understanding What to Look for in a Used Diesel Welder Generator for Sale
Welding is an important part of many construction projects. However, you might not always have an electric power source in order to use a welder. For that reason, purchasing a used diesel welder generator on eBay can come in handy. This machine can power a welder using fuel instead of needing to be plugged in.Key features you should consider when purchasing a used diesel welder generator
When searching for used diesel welders for sale on eBay, it's important to look for specific features in a welder generator. In fact, that's what makes it hard to buy used diesel welders. The reason is that people who sell these products don't always list all of the features. Some of the main ones to consider in a used generator for welding include:
- Automatic idle
- Thermal or heat overload protection
- A 120-volt heater for the engine block
- Infinite arc control
Whether you're using Miller, Hobart, or Lincoln welders, you have to consider which kind of welding job that you're undertaking. Not all generators will provide the power that you need to run a Lincoln welding machine. Some of the most common welding jobs that might require a used Miller diesel welder generator include:
- Pipe welding — This is a type of welding that usually requires stick electrodes. Look for electrodes that put out at least 200 amps, which means that you'll need a generator that can power a welder capable of producing that many amps.
- Arc gouging — This process removes metal using a welder. In most cases, you'll need equipment with the ability to produce 400 to 600 amps depending on the type of metal that you're removing.
- Stick welding — Stick welding is one of the most common types in the field. It usually requires electrodes or rods that measure 3/32 to 5/32 of an inch. For rods within these sizes, a welder generator with 200 amps is needed.
When you consider buying a welding machine for sale on eBay, it's important to remember that the generator you choose will determine the noise output. In some cases, the noise output won't matter. However, there might be some cases in which you need a quiet generator on the job site. Most of the time, a generator for used Miller diesel welders runs quieter than other portable generators that use fuel sources such as gasoline.Other types of fuel that can be used to run portable welder generators
Portable welders require a lot of power. Because of that, the engines require powerful fuel sources. The three most common fuel sources for these generators are gasoline, diesel, and propane. Just keep in mind that each generator only runs on a specific type of fuel. You can't mix and match them. For that reason, it's important to understand which kind of fuel that your used generator needs.