Catalytic Converters for Honda Accord
A vehicle produces toxic fumes from its exhaust when it runs, but a catalytic converter filters and changes these to harmless compounds. While they can last quite a while, buildup and vehicle problems can lead to failure and a need to replace. With a variety of catalytic converters for Honda Accord to choose from, you can find the right replacement.What is the purpose of a catalytic converter?
A converter uses two catalysts to convert toxic compounds in a car’s exhaust into harmless ones. The combustion from a Honda Accord engine creates an emission of carbon monoxide, hydrocarbons, and nitrogen oxides. These compounds travel toward the exhaustion pipe where they interact with the mechanism. The device converts carbon monoxide into carbon dioxide, converts hydrocarbons into water and carbon dioxide, and splits nitrogen and oxygen in nitrogen oxides. Without a working converter, these vapors can lead to smog, acid rain, and poisonous air in heavily populated areas.When should you replace a catalytic converter?
In a Honda Accord, a converter doesn’t have a mileage replacement age like many car parts. If your Honda Accord is well-maintained, it is possible to keep your instrument working for a long time. However, they can fail and do need replacing to keep your Honda Accord's fumes under state law requirements. Any repair shop can check your converter and its performance. Here are some signs that your converter may need to be changed:
- A failed emissions test
- Fuel efficiency deteriorates
- No acceleration when pressing the gas pedal
- Car refuses to start
- Check engine light appears
A failed converter may be a sign of a larger problem with your vehicle engine. Here are a few problems in a Honda Accord that can cause the device to fail:
- Too much fuel getting in the exhaust
- Oil or antifreeze in the exhaust
- Failing oxygen sensor
- Worn spark plugs or spark plug wires
- Engine needing tune-up
Many catalytic converters fail because of particle buildup inside the device. A good cleaning can improve the efficiency of this part, especially after a tune-up. Follow these steps:
- Purchase a bottle of device cleaner.
- Empty the bottle into the gas tank.
- Drive around until the gas tank is near empty to ensure chemical cleaner usage.
- Clear On-board-diagnostic trouble codes.
- Fill the gas tank again.
- Drive around 50 miles on both side streets and highways to re-calibrate the Honda Accord computer.
- Check emissions with a testing device.