Barbour Coats and Jackets for Women
A high-quality coat or jacket can help keep you warm while allowing you to showcase your style. Barbour is a British brand known for its comfortable, durable wax jackets. These outdoor jackets are designed to withstand the elements, and they combine weather-ready details with a dash of British whimsy.What types of women's coats and jackets does Barbour design?
Barbour designs two main types of women's jackets. They are:
- Waxed jackets: These jackets have a waxed cotton outer shell, which is designed to keep you warm and dry on rainy days in the country. Barbour offers several different silhouettes, ranging from streamlined jackets with snaps to feminine jackets with multiple outer pockets.
- Quilted jackets: The quilted jackets are inspired by the silhouettes of the classic waxed styles, but the quilted polyamide outer shells have a lighter weight. Some of these quilted Barbour jackets have equestrian details, and others have relaxed fits.
Barbour jackets include several design details that make them stand out, including:
- Corduroy collars: Most Barbour coats and jackets have cozy corduroy collars with detachable throat latches.
- Tartan lining: Every Barbour jacket is equipped with a recognizable tartan lining, which is equal parts classic and comfortable.
- Concealed zipper: Most Barbour jackets have concealed zippers. On especially cold days, you can fend off the elements with the snap storm flap.
- Hand-warmer pockets: You can keep your hands warm thanks to the hand-warmer pockets, which are lined with moleskin.
- Corrosion-resistant buttons: It's not just the specially treated cotton that is designed to withstand the weather. Barbour also equips these coats and jackets with solid brass buttons that are corrosion-resistant.
Barbour designs women's jackets in sizes ranging from two to 16. Size isn't the only fit consideration when choosing a Barbour product, however. Barbour makes jackets in three different size profiles. When shopping for a Barbour jacket, you should choose the fit profile that best suits your body shape and preferences. Your options include:
- Slim fit: This fashion-forward fit hugs the figure, resulting in flattering silhouettes.
- Regular fit: This fit is appropriate for women of all sizes and styles, and it provides excellent ease of movement.
- Relaxed fit: This fit is roomy, allowing you to layer other clothing underneath to protect against colder weather.
Barbour was not the first to use waxed material to provide weather-resistant warmth, but the brand was the first company to widely employ the technique. Waxed materials were first developed by 15th-century mariners who realized they could stay warm by coating their clothing in fish oil. In the 1930s, Barbour developed a better-smelling alternative to the maritime method. Barbour coated cottons with a paraffin-based wax that was water-resistant but pliable. This process is still used today, but Barbour has crafted its technique over the years. It results in jackets that are durable, stylish, and historically notable.Content provided for informational purposes only. eBay is not affiliated with or endorsed by Barbour.