Armoires and Wardrobes
If you're in need of a piece of furniture to use for storing belongings such as clothing, jewelry, linens, a computer, or a television set, armoires and wardrobes are suitable furnishings to consider. You can place an armoire in any room of the home to use as a storage cabinet. These pieces come in a variety of styles, colors, and finishes appropriate for working with any type of home decorating style.
What are some common brand names of wardrobes and armoires?
- Hodedah Furniture Imports offers a variety of spacious wardrobes and armoires in contemporary styles.
- Acapella offers versatile transitional-style wardrobe armoires in pure white and a variety of wood finishes. Many of the furniture pieces are North American-made and feature non-toxic materials.
- Prepac makes armoires and standalone wardrobe closets in different types of finishes including white, black, and oak.
- Sauder Furniture offers a variety of functional and practical furnishings including armoires and standalone wardrobe closets.
- Inval offers armoires and wardrobes in a variety of colors and finishes including espresso-wenge and flat white.
What are distinguishing features of an armoire or wardrobe?
There are also many high-quality, unbranded armoires and wardrobes available. Some of these vintage and antique furniture pieces are made of solid wood such as mahogany, cherry, walnut, or other hardwoods.
Which rooms can you put a standalone wardrobe in?
Armoires and wardrobes are designed to provide storage for clothing, lingerie, linens, towels, jewelry, electronics, and other household items. Shelves are their most prominent feature. They might also include rods for hanging clothing or drawers that can store a variety of belongings. They often have protective doors that open and close on hinges to keep dust and lint away from the items you're storing inside them. If you're looking for a high-quality armoire or wardrobe, you'll want to ensure that the piece is made of solid wood. Check for intricate details such as dovetailed or mortise-and-tenon joinery. Look for joints that are incorporated into the components of the frame. Reinforcements will be made with dowels or screws rather than staples or nails. These types of features help ensure that the furniture is long-lasting and will provide adequate protection to items inside.
Almost any room can benefit from the addition of additional closet space or storage space. In particular, the foyer or mudroom is a suitable space for these types of pieces. An armoire makes a good place to store jackets, coats, hats, snow boots, umbrellas, and rain gear if you don't happen to have a coat closet. In the bathroom, you can use a wardrobe closet instead of a vanity to store towels, washcloths, hand soaps, toilet paper, and other items. A wardrobe can also provide additional closet space in the master suite, a child's bedroom, or a guest bedroom.