How to Choose the Right Laptop
Laptops have become a crucial tool in modern life, be it for work, study, or socializing. MacBooks are laptops that comes with a distinct design and some features particular to their brand. The MacBook Pro is considered the high-performance model of Apple's laptop line.
What Are Some Common Design Features of MacBooks?
Before settling on a MacBook Pro, it's helpful to understand features shared across the range of Apple MacBooks, including other types like the MacBook Air.
- Screen Display: Clearly an important aspect of any laptop, MacBook Profeatures an LED-backlit LCD screen with retina display. The model comes in two sizes, the 15-inch and 13-inch MacBooks. See the manufacturer site for details.
- Laptop Battery: When not plugged in to power, laptops rely on batteries as an internal power source which for the MacBook Pro is a lithium-polymer battery. Depending on the model, battery life can be range from 7 to 10 hours of browsing over Wi-Fi.
- FaceTime Camera: So that you can video chat with friends and family, MacBooks feature a built-in FaceTime camera and microphone.
What Are Important Hardware Components of Laptops?
Finding the right computer for you generally means finding one that has the right level of performance. Important hardware components include:
- Hard Drive: As the local storage for a computer, hard drives are generally either a hard disk drive (HDD) or solid state drive (SSD). With a 500 GB HDD, a computer has ample space to store plenty of regular files, music, and video.
- Computer Processor: Performing the calculations necessary for programs to run on a computer, MacBook Pros often feature a processor like Intel Core i7 or Core i5. Typically these processors run at speeds faster than 2 GHz and are designed with a dual-core or quad-core architecture for greater capacity. These factors are generally more important than whether the chip is an Intel Core i5 or i7.
- Memory: Used to temporarily store data that needs to be accessed or worked on, a computer with 8 GB or even just 4 GB RAM is capable of handling simple, everyday use.
What Special Features Are Only Found on Certain MacBook Pros?
With different versions of the laptop popping up each year, some features on a mid-2012 model won't be found on a 2018 model, such as:
- Keyboard and Trackpad: Certain models of the MacBook Pro feature not only a keyboard and multi-touch trackpad, but also a touchbar. A glass strip, the touch bar provides custom function shortcuts that change depending on which application is in use.
- CD-ROM: Some older versions of the MacBook Pro feature a CD-ROM or SuperDrive, allowing you to access files stored on CDs.
- FireWire Port: Although modern MacBook Pros use Thunderbolt to connect to other devices, older versions of the laptop rely on a FireWire connection.
Content provided for informational purposes only. eBay is not affiliated with or endorsed by Apple or the brands listed above.