CAUTION: "HONG KONG", "CHINA", "SINGAPORE"
1. I have searched every retailer coming out of Asia, and what I discovered is that they are all fake except for one company that claims genuine all over their listings, but they are just as expensive as the real item, so I guess that's the first clue.
CAUTION: DUALSHOCK 3 PRINTED IN "PURPLE" NOT "BLUE"
2. Sony Controllers have DUALSHOCK printed in light BLUE not PURPLE on the original box, also on genuine Sony controllers box you will see that on the right side of the box where the box slants at a 45 degree angle, to the right of PS3 and beneath DUALSHOCK r 3 there is a label IDENTIFYING THE COLOR. Generic Sony look-a-like packages do not list a color. It's blank there.
3. Ok, this is an odd one. On a genuine Sony controller, the words "SELECT" will actually show a lot of spacing between the letters especially between S-E-L-E-CT. It will kind of look this way S E L E CT, but the fake controller will appear closer together such as SELECT.
CAUTION: THE "O" IN SONY
4. The "O" in Sony will appear fatter on the sides than the top and bottom. The fake "O" will appear even all the way around. Also NOTE: the accent lines on the top of "S" "N" and "Y" are thin on the genuine Sony controller but are thicker and shorter on the fake Sony controller.
5. On the front of the fake Sony controller between the letter "S" and "H" you will see a noticeable space. Whereas, the Sony original packaging the "S" and "H" spelled within "DUALSHOCKr3" those two letters almost touch each other.
6. Over on the back following with their incorrect color scheme, the fake Sony controller packaging has "SIXAXIS" printed in PURPE as well, whereas the genuine Sony controller is printed in light BLUE.
CAUTION: WILL NOT SHIP TO CHINA, ITALY, JAPAN, NO ORIGINAL BOX
7. These two are RED FLAGS. I believe they do not ship within Asian countries as that would make it too easy for Sony to prosecute them. Not sure on the Italy thing. I assume they must counterfeit Italian items as well. NO ORIGINAL box????? And it's NEW??? Stay away. I hope this helps, it really is hard to believe that people will go to this extent to counterfeit an item, down to even the packaging.
>>>>>>>>>>YOU WANT AN ORIGINAL SONY SIXAXIS DUALSHOCK 3 CONTROLLER?????? GO TO WALMART<<<<<<<<<<<<<
FINAL NOTE: You would think that out of all the Asian countries that would be selling Japanese electronics on Ebay would be Japan, but they don't I would imagine because Sony only sells them directly to business partners such as Best Buy, RadioShack, Walmart, and whatever stores are in other parts of the world. That these controllers aren't coming out of Japan should have been our first clue. I guess it would be more noticeable if a China Ebay seller kept selling Hondas and Toyotas cheaper than what Japan could sell them for.