Good value100% agree
Engaging characters100% agree
6 of Bette Davis' Most Intriguing Performances
The Volume #3 Collection of a set of 6 Bette Davis movies includes:
1) "All This and Heaven Too," with a handsome, young Charles Boyer as Davis' aristocratic boss. Davis becomes the governess of his children, whose mother is a horrible one. Boyer & Davis surprisingly ignite the silver screen together.
2) "Deception" reunites actors Claude Rains & Paul Henreid with Davis, but in very different roles than they played in the immortalized romance, "Now, Voyager." Rains is the only actor I've ever watched take the lead from Bette Davis. He delivers his most powerful performance as Hollenious, the grand master concert pianist. This is the movie where Davis and Rains go script to script against each other. The script in cunning, sharp & ever so memorable, and the musical score is classical & stunning.
3) "The Great Lie," includes a heated dramatic struggle over George Brent between Davis & a mature, gorgeous Mary Astor. Astor plays a concert pianist which makes this musical score brilliant. Davis delivers one of her finest tamed performances.
4) "In This Our Life," Olivia de Haviland & Bette Davis are sisters at odds with each other over George Brent. In one of his most candid movies, director John Huston says, "There is something elemental about Bette--a demon within her which threatens to break out and eat everybody, beginning with their ears...I let the demon go."
5) "The Old Maid," with Davis playing one at the age of 31, brings Miriam Hopkins onto the screen to display the wrath between both women that actually exists off-screen. Hopkins assumed the position as the mother of a child Davis had soon after the child's father (George Brent) was killed in action during the US Civil War.
6) "Watch on the Rhine," is one of the few serious political dramas that Davis performed in. Paired with Paul Lukas, Davis is the American wife of a leader of Germany's anti-Nazi underground movement. Traveling with their children to her US home and natal family, they are pursued by pro-Nazi agents in Washington, DC. Dashiell Hammett adapted this, Lillian Hellman's famous play.
It would be extremely difficult to pick which one of these six Bette Davis movies is best. I will say, however, that of the 3 DVD collections, this set is my peroneal favorite. These are the movies that Bette Davis gave oscar nominated performances in and yet they remain unknown to many. Compared to movies made in this century, this DVD box set is a collectors must own because of the quality of acting, actors, scripts, musical scores, storylines and masterful direction. I could rave on. . . .Read full review...
Lovin my Bette!
This set of Bette Davis dvds has one of my favorite films she ever made, "All this and Heaven Too". "Deception" and "Watch on the Rhine" have to do with WWII although there is actually no fighting. They tell a story about the effects of war and choices one makes when confronted with tyranny. The black and white film effects are spellbinding, Bette shows her range here in all these films. This Vol III set was a wonderful price and it was delivered quickly to my door. These sets of films are a great way to build your library of your favorite actor. They come in a wonderful box set. I would like to have more.Read full review...
Always a great gift!
My mother absolutely loves Bette Davis. She is Mom's favorite actress, especially the silver screen "non-colored" black-and-white films. I have given Mom volumes 1 and 2 already, and now for this Christmas, she'll get volume 3 of this collection. She's gonna love it!Read full review...
Classic La Bette!
A set of classic films featuring one of the great actresses of Hollywood's Golden Age! A must for fans of classic film!
bette davis collection vol 3
My faves are In this our Life, The Old Maid and The Great Lie.....Just these 3 movies were enough to make purchasing this set worth it but the other 3 are all great too. Thoroughly happy with this new addition to the collection. Keep them coming! :)Read full review...
Everything the seller told me was true and I would buy from this seller again. The movies are really great and the quality is also great
Bette Davis Rules!
Bette Davis is a class act. Her storylines are woman-oriented and contain topics that were ahead of their time. In "The Great Lie" and "The Old Maid," the idea another woman raising another woman's child was ahead of its time. The topic is an early treatment of surrogacy. Well-acted.Read full review...
This has been a long awaited collection with some of my very favorites of Bette's. Excellent collection, definitely a must have for any collector. A great lie with her and Mary Astor and George Brent is phenominal.Read full review...
BETTE DAVIS COLLECTION - VOLUME 3
MOVIE SET ARRIVED TODAY IN PERFECT CONDITION THANK-YOU.WILL ENJOY WATCHING ALL FIVE MOVIES, HAVE BEEN A BETTE DAVIS FAN FOR YEARS. WOULD RECOMMEND YOUR SERVICE TO OTHERS.
My wife is a huge Bette Davis fan and I purchased this collection in hopes that she had not seen a couple of the movies. She had not seen any of them for a long time and was thrilled with the selection in it.Read full review...