Independent experts authenticate, list, and sell your luxury handbag so buyers shop with confidence.
Why You’ll Love eBay Authenticate
Independent experts authenticate your handbag so buyers shop with confidence.
Enjoy an unparalleled customer experience while experts take care of the entire selling process.
You receive 80% of the selling price of your luxury handbag. See below for special promotional offers.
For a Limited Time, Earn Even More
We're sweetening the deal. Get 90% of the selling price when you send in your eligible luxury handbag by May 31st, 2019*.Start Selling
* The discount will be reflected in a payment to your PayPal account within two business days of your buyer paying for the handbag.
How It Works
- 1 Start by checking eligibility of your handbag.*
- 2 Send it in using a prepaid USPS shipping label, or drop it off at a participating FedEx Office location, and they’ll pack and ship to the experts for free.
- 3 Independent experts authenticate, list, sell, and ship your handbag to your buyer.
- 4 You get paid after the handbag sells.
* Item eligibility based on brand and value, see FAQ for details
How eBay Authenticate Compares
|eBay Authenticate||Poshmark||The RealReal|
|Fees on a $1500 handbag**||20%||20%||30%|
|Earnings on a $1500 handbag**||$1200||$1200||$1050|
|Authentication Service Charge***||Included in service for all eligible items over $500||Included in service for items over $500||Included in service for all eligible items|
|Professional listing & photos|
|Free shipping label|
** Comparison based on handbag data from www.poshmark.com and www.therealreal.com as of March 1, 2019. Fees and earnings calculated without additional promotions or discounts. Fees vary based on user’s consignment history.
*** The RealReal eligibility requirements available at www.therealreal.com/designers.
Why Buyers Will Love eBay Authenticate
Independent experts verify your handbags’ authenticity, so buyers can shop with total confidence.
Covered by eBay Money Back Guarantee
In case of any doubt, independent third party experts will inspect your item. If the authenticity of the item can’t be verified, you will receive a full refund.
What is eBay Authenticate?
eBay Authenticate is a simple, trusted way for you to get paid for your luxury handbags.
Ship your handbag using a prepaid USPS shipping label, or drop it off at a participating FedEx office location and they'll pack and ship it for you. Shipping is free. Independent experts will authenticate, list, and sell your handbag on your behalf. You get paid when your item sells.
Interested in selling other luxury items? Check for updates, we’re expanding to other categories soon.
How do I get started?
Start by checking eligibility of your handbag. - opens in new window or tab You’ll enter in the brand, item type, and condition. If your item is eligible to sell with eBay Authenticate, you’ll be invited to continue with our service.
What items are eligible for eBay Authenticate?
We currently accept handbags and wallets from the following luxury brands: Louis Vuitton, Hermès, Chanel, Gucci, Céline, Fendi, Christian Dior, Prada, Goyard, Balenciaga, Valentino, Burberry, Chloé, Bottega Veneta and Saint Laurent (aka “Eligible Brands”).While eBay Authenticate typically accepts Eligible Brands that are worth $500 or more, you can send in those worth $250 or more until May 31st, 2019 (see promotional terms and conditions for more information).
What condition should my item be in?
We accept new and pre-owned items in excellent or very good condition. Items not in acceptable condition will be returned back to you.
How do I send you my item?
After you start a request to sell with eBay Authenticate, we’ll ask you to choose how you want to send in your item. You can either ship for free using a prepaid USPS label. Or bring your item to any participating FedEx Office location, and they’ll pack and ship it for free.
Do I pay for shipping?
Shipping is free using an eBay provided prepaid USPS label, or through participating FedEx Office locations.
What happens if my item is lost or damaged during shipping?
We take responsibility for items that are lost or damaged when sent through eBay’s approved shipping methods. If this happens, give us a call at 1-855-USE-EBAY and provide shipping confirmation and the tracking number of your eBay Authenticate order.
What happens once you receive my item?
Independent experts verify the authenticity of your item. After that, they photograph and list it. Once your item sells, they’ll ship it to the buyer.
What happens if my item can’t be authenticated?
If the authenticity of your item can’t be verified, we’ll return it to you for free.
How will my handbag be priced with eBay Authenticate?
Independent experts price items at the higher end of the estimated market value. They make this estimate by researching similar items sold on eBay and other sites within the last 90 days.
If your item doesn’t sell, it will be relisted up to 10 times at a slightly reduced price. Each time it’s listed, you’ll receive an email about it. If you have any questions or concerns, give us a call at 1-855-USE-EBAY.
Items are listed in Auction-style format with Buy It Now or Fixed Price Best Offer.
How much do I earn?
You earn 80% of the sales price once your item sells. Until May 31, 2019, you receive 90% of the selling price (see the promotional terms and conditions for more information).
Is there a fee?
A 20% fee is deducted from the selling price, and you receive the remaining 80%. Until May 31, 2019, you receive 90% of the selling price (see the promotional terms and conditions for more information).
How long is my item listed? What happens if it doesn’t sell?
Your item is listed for up to 60 days. If it doesn’t sell in that time, we’ll return it to you for free.
Do I need a PayPal account in order to get paid?
Yes, you need a PayPal account to get paid. If you choose to sell with eBay Authenticate and don’t have a PayPal account, we’ll email you the instructions on how to set one up.
What happens if a buyer wants to return my item?
We’ll never bother you with returns. Once a buyer purchases your item, you receive payment and keep it. If a buyer returns an item, independent experts will process the return and the item becomes their property.
As a business seller, can I participate in eBay Authenticate?
Yes, business sellers are welcome to participate in eBay Authenticate. Start by creating a listing. - opens in new window or tab
Terms & Conditions
eBay Authenticate™ Overview
eBay is partnering with third party independent experts to authenticate items in select categories and list and ship those items (collectively referred to as the “Services”).
These terms govern your use of the Services. These terms may be amended, including cancelling the Services altogether, at any time by posting the updated terms on eBay.com. The eBay User Agreement, User Privacy Notice, and all eBay policies are incorporated by reference. You agree to comply with these terms when using the Services.
WHAT SELLERS NEED TO KNOW
By selling with eBay Authenticate, you are consigning your item to be authenticated and sold by an Industry Expert on eBay.com. There is no guarantee that your item will be determined to be authentic, listed, or successfully sold, or will be sold at a particular price.
Items Eligible for eBay Authenticate
- eBay Authenticate is currently available for luxury handbags and wallets that have an estimated sale price of $500 or more and are in excellent, new, or like-new condition, all as determined by the Independent Experts. The minimum estimated sale price for an item to be eligible for eBay Authenticate may change during promotional periods. Independent Experts reserve the right to reject your item, for any reason, including if they believe that the item will not successfully sell on eBay.com
- The following brands are eligible (“Eligible Brands”): Louis Vuitton, Hermès, Chanel, Gucci, Céline, Fendi, Christian Dior, Prada, Goyard, Balenciaga, Burberry, Valentino, Chloé, Bottega Veneta and Saint Laurent.
- Only one Covered Item can be sent through eBay Authenticate in a single order but you may create multiple orders.
Fees for eBay Authenticate
If your items sells, the Independent Experts will keep 20% of the sales proceeds as a fee for authenticating, listing and selling your item. You will receive 80% of the sales proceeds, and maybe more during promotional events.
The fee for eBay Authenticate may change from time to time and will be published as part of these terms.
If Your Item Cannot be Authenticated or is Determined Unsellable
- If the Independent Experts cannot verify that your item is authentic, or determine that the item is not sellable (due to its condition or the item not being eligible), you will be notified and the item will be mailed back to you free of charge.
- You are not permitted to list on eBay any item that has been returned to you because its authenticity could not be verified unless you obtain an independent verification of the item’s authenticity. eBay reserves the right to request evidence of this independent verification for any such returned item that you list on eBay.
- If the Independent Experts determine in their sole discretion that an item is counterfeit, the Independent Experts have a legal obligation to properly dispose of the item, in which case the item cannot be returned to you. You release the Independent Experts from any liability surrounding this determination.
Listing Your Item
- Items will be listed on eBay.com. The Independent Experts will determine, in their sole discretion, the selling format for your item (auction-style or fixed price format).
- The Independent Experts will consider the condition of the item and use their expertise and other comparable items on eBay.com to set the asking price for a fixed price listing or the starting price for auction-style format. The Independent Experts will determine the price in their sole discretion.
- The Independent Experts may reduce the price of a fixed price listing, or the starting price for an auction-style listing, at any time.
If Your Item Sells
- If your item sells, the Independent Experts will send a payment to you via PayPal for 80% of the purchase price (excluding sales tax) of your sold item, no later than 2 business days after your item is paid for by the buyer. The Independent Experts will deposit any payments via PayPal using the email address you have provided. If you don't have a PayPal account, you will receive an email that tells you how to set-up a PayPal account to access your money. PayPal is the only payment method available for eBay Authenticate.
- If your item sells but the buyer fails to pay, your item will be re-listed.
- The Independent Experts will ship your item to the buyer. If the buyer returns an item, that item will be the property of the Industry Expert, who may keep, dispose of, or re-sell the item, at its sole discretion.
If Your Item Doesn't Sell/Is Not Sellable
If your item doesn't sell after being listed on eBay.com for 60 days, you will be notified and the unsold item will be mailed back to you free of charge.
Liability for Loss or Damage while in Independent Experts’ possession
Items will be insured by the Independent Experts while in their possession. You will be reimbursed for any item that is lost, damaged or stolen while in the Independent Experts’ possession.
- The aggregate liability to you (or any third party) in any circumstance for each item is limited to the price at which the item sold on eBay and if not sold, the average selling price for virtually the same item (with the same features and in the same condition) sold on eBay over 90 days prior to the determination.
- Neither eBay nor the Independent Experts shall be responsible for any loss or damage to items resulting from or caused by the following:
- inherent vice, wear and tear, decay, deterioration, hidden or latent defect
- fungus or mold (unless such fungus or mold is in the Industry Expert’s property);
- the seizure or destruction of property by order of governmental authority; or
- war, military action, rebellion or revolution.
- It is your responsibility to package the items you mail in properly. The Independent Experts take no liability for items in transit. You may be able to purchase insurance from the shipping carrier.
- The Independent Experts only accept responsibility for the items they receive.
Risk of loss or damage upon shipment
eBay will assume the risk of loss and damage upon shipment if you use eBay’s approved shipping methods. eBay is not responsible for any risk of loss or damage to the item until you ship or drop off the item using eBay’s approved shipping methods. If your item is damaged in transit, eBay’s Customer Service will assist you and work with the shipping carriers and the Independent Experts to investigate your case. eBay will in its own discretion determine the fair market value of your item or the extent of the damage and pay you the corresponding amount. This shall be your sole and exclusive remedy in the event that your item gets lost or damaged when using eBay’s approved shipping methods. You may be able to purchase insurance from the shipping carrier.
WHAT EVERYONE NEEDS TO KNOW
The Independent Experts may collect your name, address, phone number, email address and PayPal email address for participation in eBay Authenticate. Your personal information will be used only to provide you the Services and any additional services you request. The Independent Experts may share your personal information with eBay for eBay to measure and improve eBay Authenticate and its related services and for trust and safety purposes. The Independent Experts may also share your personal information with service providers who help with their business operations. The Independent Experts do not sell or rent your personal information to third parties for their marketing purposes without your explicit consent. The Independent Experts may combine your information with information collected from other companies and use it to improve and personalize services and advertising.
Third Party Services / No Agency
The Services are provided by third party Independent Experts, including authenticators and sellers. The Independent Experts will offer you the Services if you agree to be bound by this Agreement. The Independent Experts are not agents of eBay.
Eastvale Store LLC. is the Industry Expert that lists, sells and fulfils orders of items that go through eBay Authenticate. Eastvale Store LLC is located at 4560 Hamner Avenue, Eastvale, CA 91752.
eBay does not take possession of any items that go through eBay Authenticate at any time.
Neither eBay nor the Independent Experts are affiliated with, or endorsed by, any of the Eligible Brands. The Services are provided independent of the Eligible Brands.
Your Representations and Warranties
If you are an item owner, you represent and warrant that you (A) are the lawful owner of the item you are consigning and have all the necessary right, title, and authorization to consign such item and permit the Independent Experts to authenticate, offer, sell, and deliver the item to any third party; and (B) your item is not counterfeit and does not infringe the proprietary rights, including, without limitation, copyrights, patents, domain names, trademark rights or any other intellectual property rights, of any third party. If you breach any of the above representations and warranties, you may be ineligible to participate in eBay Authenticate or use eBay in the future. In addition, Independent Experts are under an obligation to share information regarding such potential or actual breach with eBay, in which case eBay may restrict or suspend your selling activity on the eBay website.
Without limiting other remedies (including right of setoff), eBay may terminate the Services, and refuse to allow you to access future Services if: (A) you breach this Agreement, including the user agreement, privacy notice, and policies incorporated herein; (B) eBay believes that your actions may cause financial loss or legal liability to you, the Industry Expert, eBay or any of their affiliates or customers; (C) any of your representations or warranties are false or inaccurate; or (D) eBay suspects any fraud or misconduct.
Limited time promotional Terms and Conditions
What is the Promotion?
Sellers who create an order through eBay Authenticate by Friday, May 31st, 2019 at 23:59 PT (11:59PM plus 59 seconds) will be eligible to receive 90% of the sale price of their sold item.
eBay Authenticate is currently available to all sellers through our quick listing tool or through this web pageopens in a new window or tab.
If your Eligible Item's authenticity cannot be verified, it will be shipped back to you for free and the Promotion will not apply.
When is it?
This Promotion will begin on Thursday, September 20, 2018, at 00:00:01 PT (12:00AM plus one second) and will end on Friday, May 31st, 2019 at 23:59 PT (11:59PM plus 59 seconds) (the "Promotion Period").
How do I receive the Promotion?
In order to receive the Promotion, sellers must create an order during the Promotion Period and sell an Eligible Item through eBay Authenticate. During the Promotion Period, eligible items (“Eligible Item”) include handbags and wallets worth $250 or more from the following luxury brands: Louis Vuitton, Hermès, Chanel, Gucci, Céline, Fendi, Christian Dior, Prada, Goyard, Balenciaga, Burberry, Valentino, Chloé, Bottega Veneta and Saint Laurent.
The discount will be reflected in a payment to your PayPal account within two business days of your buyer paying for an Eligible Item successfully sold through eBay Authenticate.
Restrictions & Exclusions
- This Promotion only applies to Eligible Items successfully sold through eBay Authenticate.
- This Promotion is currently available to all sellers either through our quick listing tool or through this web pageopens in a new window or tab.
- This Promotion is only valid for listings on www.ebay.com.
- Discount excludes tax, which will be deducted in full from the sale price of the item before the discount is applied.