eBay Authenticate™ Overview
eBay is partnering with third party industry experts (“Industry Experts”) to authenticate items in select categories and list and ship those items (collectively referred to as the “Services”).
These terms govern your use of the Services. These terms may be amended, including cancelling the Services altogether, at any time by posting the updated terms on eBay.com. The eBay user agreement, privacy notice, and all eBay policies are incorporated by reference. You agree to comply with these terms when using the Services.
WHAT BUYERS NEED TO KNOW
eBay guarantees the authenticity of covered items (“Authenticity Guarantee”) on these terms and conditions.
Items Covered: Only items that are marked with “Authenticity Verified” are covered by the Authenticity Guarantee (“Covered Item”). eBay does not guarantee the authenticity of any other items. Look for this indicator on the item listings: Returns
You can return a Covered Item with an intact eBay Authenticate tag within 30 days after the day you received the item by opening a return request on your eBay account.
If you question whether your purchase is authentic, you will need to select the return reason code “doesn’t seem authentic” in the return form. Upon receipt, the item will be re-evaluated by industry experts who will initiate a refund (if applicable) within 5 business days after receiving your returned item.
- If the industry expert is unable to verify the authenticity of the item, you will be refunded 200% of the item purchase price, plus any sales tax paid, in full and final settlement. No additional amount will be owed to you by the industry experts or eBay. The refund will be processed in two batches: half of it will be paid by the industry expert, and the other half will be paid by eBay.
- If the item is verified authentic, then you will receive a refund equal to 100% of your purchase price, minus the cost of return shipping.
If the returned item is not the same item as the one sold, not in the same condition as sold, or the eBay Authenticate tag has been removed or otherwise damaged, the return will not be accepted. If the industry expert paid for the return shipping label, eBay will charge you for the cost of return shipping. You can request to have the item mailed back to you at your expense, with no refund. The item will not be mailed back to you unless you have paid the cost of return shipping and the cost of having the item returned to you. We also reserve the right to exercise any and all remedies, including limits on or suspension of your ability to use eBay, and referral to law enforcement if appropriate.
The chart below summarizes the refund amounts for eBay Authenticate items that are returned in their original condition (with the eBay Authenticate tag intact):
| You return the item based on following reason:|| Independent Industry Expert Inspection|| Refund|
| “it doesn’t seem authentic”|| Unable to verify authenticity|| 200% of purchase price plus any sales tax paid|
| “it doesn’t seem authentic”|| Authenticity re-confirmed|| 100% of purchase price plus any sales tax paid minus cost of return shipping|
| Any of the following reasons: “Doesn’t fit”, “Changed mind” “Found a better price”, “Just didn’t like it”, “Ordered by mistake”|| Not applicable|| 100% of purchase price plus any sales tax paid|
| Any of the following reasons: “Doesn’t work or defective”, “Doesn’t match description or photos”, “Wrong item sent”, “Missing parts or accessories”, “Arrived Damaged”|| Confirmed reason|| 100% of purchase price plus any sales tax paid|
| Any of the following reasons: “Doesn’t work or defective”, “Doesn’t match description or photos”, “Wrong item sent”, “Missing parts or accessories”, “Arrived Damaged”|| Reason not confirmed (e.g. because the item was inspected and found to not be defective or damaged)|| 100% of purchase price plus any sales tax paid minus cost of return shipping|
WHAT SELLERS NEED TO KNOW
By selling with eBay Authenticate, you are consigning your item to be authenticated and sold by an Industry Expert on eBay.com. There is no guarantee that your item will be determined to be authentic, listed, or successfully sold, or will be sold at a particular price.
Items Eligible for eBay Authenticate
- eBay Authenticate is currently available for luxury handbags and wallets that have an estimated sale price of $500 or more and are in excellent, new, or like-new condition, all as determined by the Industry Experts. The minimum estimated sale price for an item to be eligible for eBay Authenticate may change during promotional periods. Industry Experts reserve the right to reject your item, for any reason, including if they believe that the item will not successfully sell on eBay.com
- The following brands are eligible (“Eligible Brands”): Louis Vuitton, Hermès, Chanel, Gucci, Céline, Fendi, Christian Dior, Prada, Goyard, Balenciaga, Burberry, and Valentino.
- Only one Covered Item can be sent through eBay Authenticate in a single order but you may create multiple orders.
Fees for eBay Authenticate
If your items sells, the Industry Experts will keep 20% of the sales proceeds as a fee for authenticating, listing and selling your item. You will receive 80% of the sales proceeds.
The fee for eBay Authenticate may change from time to time and will be published as part of these terms.
If Your Item Cannot be Authenticated or is Determined Unsellable
- If the Industry Experts cannot verify that your item is authentic, or determine that the item is not sellable (due to its condition or the item not being eligible), you will be notified and the item will be mailed back to you free of charge.
- You are not permitted to list on eBay any item that has been returned to you because its authenticity could not be verified unless you obtain an independent verification of the item’s authenticity. eBay reserves the right to request evidence of this independent verification for any such returned item that you list on eBay.
- If the Industry Experts determine in their sole discretion that an item is counterfeit, the Industry Experts have a legal obligation to properly dispose of the item, in which case the item cannot be returned to you. You release the Industry Experts from any liability surrounding this determination.
Listing Your Item
- Items will be listed on eBay.com. The Industry Experts will determine, in their sole discretion, the selling format for your item (auction-style or fixed price format).
- The Industry Experts will consider the condition of the item and use their expertise and other comparable items on eBay.com to set the asking price for a fixed price listing or the starting price for auction-style format. The Industry Experts will determine the price in their sole discretion. The sales price range that is presented to you when you create your online eBay Authenticate order is an estimate only and the Industry Experts reserve the right to sell your item for a lower price.
- The Industry Experts may reduce the price of a fixed price listing, or the starting price for an auction-style listing, at any time.
If Your Item Sells
- If your item sells, the Industry Experts will send a payment to you via PayPal for 80% of the purchase price (excluding sales tax) of your sold item, no later than 2 business days after your item is paid for by the buyer. The Industry Experts will deposit any payments via PayPal using the email address you have provided. If you don't have a PayPal account, you will receive an email that tells you how to set-up a PayPal account to access your money. PayPal is the only payment method available for eBay Authenticate.
- If your item sells but the buyer fails to pay, your item will be re-listed.
- The Industry Experts will ship your item to the buyer. If the buyer returns an item, that item will be the property of the Industry Expert, who may keep, dispose of, or re-sell the item, at its sole discretion.
If Your Item Doesn't Sell/Is Not Sellable
If your item doesn't sell after being listed on eBay.com for 60 days, you will be notified and the unsold item will be mailed back to you free of charge.
Liability for Loss or Damage
Items will be insured by the Industry Experts while in their possession. You will be reimbursed for any item that is lost, damaged or stolen while in the Industry Experts’ possession.
- The aggregate liability to you (or any third party) in any circumstance for each item is limited to the price at which the item sold on eBay and if not sold, the average selling price for virtually the same item (with the same features and in the same condition) sold on eBay over 90 days prior to the determination.
- Neither eBay nor the Industry Experts shall be responsible for any loss or damage to items resulting from or caused by the following:
- inherent vice, wear and tear, decay, deterioration, hidden or latent defect
- fungus or mold (unless such fungus or mold is in the Industry Expert’s property);
- the seizure or destruction of property by order of governmental authority; or
- war, military action, rebellion or revolution.
- It is your responsibility to package the items you mail in properly. The Industry Experts take no liability for items in transit. You may be able to purchase insurance from the shipping carrier.
- The Industry Experts only accept responsibility for the items they receive.
WHAT EVERYONE NEEDS TO KNOW
The Industry Experts may collect your name, address, phone number, email address and PayPal email address for participation in eBay Authenticate. Your personal information will be used only to provide you the Services and any additional services you request. The Industry Experts may share your personal information with eBay for eBay to measure and improve eBay Authenticate and its related services and for trust and safety purposes. The Industry Experts may also share your personal information with service providers who help with their business operations. The Industry Experts do not sell or rent your personal information to third parties for their marketing purposes without your explicit consent. The Industry Experts may combine your information with information collected from other companies and use it to improve and personalize services and advertising.
Third Party Services / No Agency
The Services are provided by third party Industry Experts, including authenticators and sellers. The Industry Experts will offer you the Services if you agree to be bound by this Agreement. The Industry Experts are not agents of eBay.
Eastvale Store LLC. is the Industry Expert that lists, sells and fulfils orders of items that go through eBay Authenticate. Eastvale Store LLC is located at 4560 Hamner Avenue, Eastvale, CA 91752.
eBay does not take possession of any items that go through eBay Authenticate at any time.
Neither eBay nor the Industry Experts are affiliated with, or endorsed by, any of the Eligible Brands. The Services are provided independent of the Eligible Brands.
Your Representations and Warranties
If you are an item owner, you represent and warrant that you (A) are the lawful owner of the item you are consigning and have all the necessary right, title, and authorization to consign such item and permit the Industry Experts to authenticate, offer, sell, and deliver the item to any third party; and (B) your item is not counterfeit and does not infringe the proprietary rights, including, without limitation, copyrights, patents, domain names, trademark rights or any other intellectual property rights, of any third party. If you breach any of the above representations and warranties, you may be ineligible to participate in eBay Authenticate or use eBay in the future. In addition, Industry Experts are under an obligation to share information regarding such potential or actual breach with eBay, in which case eBay may restrict or suspend your selling activity on the eBay website.
Without limiting other remedies (including right of setoff), eBay may terminate the Services, and refuse to allow you to access future Services if: (A) you breach this Agreement, including the user agreement, privacy notice, and policies incorporated herein; (B) eBay believes that your actions may cause financial loss or legal liability to you, the Industry Expert, eBay or any of their affiliates or customers; (C) any of your representations or warranties are false or inaccurate; or (D) eBay suspects any fraud or misconduct.
Limited time promotional Terms and Conditions
What is the Promotion?
Sellers who create an order through eBay Authenticate by Wednesday, January 31, 2018 at 23:59:59 PT (11:59PM plus 59 seconds) will be eligible for a 50% discount on seller fees associated with eBay Authenticate, with only a 10% fee deducted from the selling price (minus tax) of an Eligible Item upon successful sale through eBay Authenticate (collectively, the “Promotion”). Through the Promotion, sellers receive 90% of the sale price of their Eligible Item (after deducting tax) instead of the standard 80%.
eBay Authenticate is currently available to consumer sellers through our quick listing tool. We are working to expand access to eBay Authenticate to our business sellers as soon as possible.
If your Eligible Item's authenticity cannot be verified, it will be shipped back to you for free and the Promotion will not apply.
When is it?
This Promotion will begin on Monday, September 25, 2017, at 00:00:01 PT (12:00AM plus one second) and will end on Wednesday, January 31, 2018 at 23:59:59 PT (11:59PM plus 59 seconds) (the "Promotion Period").
How do I receive the Promotion?
In order to receive the Promotion, sellers must create an order during the Promotion Period and sell an Eligible Item through eBay Authenticate. During the Promotion Period, eligible items (“Eligible Item”) include handbags and wallets worth $250 or more from the following luxury brands: Louis Vuitton, Hermès, Chanel, Gucci, Céline, Fendi, Christian Dior, Prada, Goyard, Balenciaga, Burberry, and Valentino.
The discount will be reflected in a payment to your PayPal account within two business days of your buyer paying for an Eligible Item successfully sold through eBay Authenticate.
Restrictions & Exclusions
- This Promotion only applies to Eligible Items successfully sold through eBay Authenticate.
- This Promotion is currently available to consumer sellers through our quick listing tool. We are working to expand access to eBay Authenticate to our business sellers as soon as possible.
- This Promotion is only valid for listings on the US site at www.ebay.com.
- Discount excludes tax, which will be deducted in full from the sale price of the item before the discount is applied.