All listings for this product
About this product
- SynopsisFriendship, loyalty, lifelong love -- and teenage suicide. A riveting, timely, and terrifying novel from an acclaimed writer who skillfully intertwines the intimate perceptions of Anne Tyler with the dramatic tension of John Grisham The Golds and the Hartes, neighbors for eighteen years, have always been inseparable. So have their children-and its no surprise that in high school Chris and Emilys friendship blossoms into something more. But the bonds of family, friendship, and passion-which had seemed so indestructible -- suddenly threaten to unravel in the wake of unexpected tragedy. When midnight calls from the hospital come in, no one is ready for the truth. Emily is dead at seventeen from a gunshot wound to the head. Theres a single unspent bullet in the gun that Chris pilfered from his fathers cabinet-a bullet that Chris tells police he intended for himself. But a local detective has doubts about the suicide pact that Chris describes.This extraordinary, heart-rending novel asks questions that every parent faces: How much do we know about our children? Our friends? What if . . .' As its chapters unfold, alternating between an idyllic past and an unthinkable present, The Pact paints an indelible portrait of families in anguish . . . and creates an astonishingly suspenseful courtroom drama, as Chris finds himself on trial for murder.Its rare to find a writer who combines Alice Hoffmans gift for evoking everyday life in pellucid prose with a remarkable ability to create a legal page-turner that will keep you up all night reading, but this is such a book. The Pact rings true: wonderfully observed, truly moving, frightening, and utterly impossible to put down.,From Jodi Picoult, one of the most powerful writers in contemporary fiction, comes a riveting, timely, heartbreaking, and terrifying novel of families in anguish -- and friendships ripped apart by inconceivable violence. Until the phone calls came at 3: 00 A.M. on a November morning, the Golds and their neighbors, the Hartes, had been inseparable. It was no surprise to anyone when their teenage children, Chris and Emily, began showing signs that their relationship was moving beyond that of lifelong friends. But now seventeen-year-old Emily has been shot to death by her beloved and devoted Chris as part of an apparent suicide pact -- leaving two devastated families stranded in the dark and dense predawn, desperate for answers about an unthinkable act and the children they never really knew.
- AuthorJodi Picoult
- Number Of Pages384 pages
- Publication Date1998-04-22
- PublisherHarperCollins Publishers
- Publication Year1998
- Weight25.3 Oz
- Height1.3 In.
- Width6.1 In.
- Length9.2 In.
- LC Classification NumberPS3566.I372P3 1998
- Dewey Decimal813/.54
- Dewey Edition21
Most relevant reviews
- 202674117@delet...May 08, 2008by
The Pact by Jodi Picoult was an amazing book.
Love love love loved this book. Jodi Picoult is one of my new favorite authors, shes really great. Its about these two teens who grow up together and eventually fall in love. Then one of them is found dead with the other holding the gun in an apparent suicide pact. I love the way Picoult weaves the past and present time lines together and doesn't let the full story of Emily's death come out until the very end. Not good for people who like sugary sweet happy endings.
- kentuckymother0...Apr 19, 2007by
Jodi PIcoults amazing writing continues....
As an avid reader of Jodi's books, I can honestly say that in my opinion, this is one of her best and obviously someone agrees as it was made into a movie too!! Touching on one of the most controversial topics of any time, once again Jodi Picoult delves into the minds of two families and how a teenage pact ending in death affects them. This was amazing and I cant wait to see the movie!! Once you start with her books, you will want to read more.
- djklarcAug 23, 2008by
This book was so hard to put down .I would carry it to work and I just couldn't keep my nose out of it! I would defiantly suggest this to anyone who is looking for a compelling story. Does any body know the name of the movie ????
- pennyk52Mar 05, 2010by
i love Jodi Picoult books once i got started i couldn't quit would reccomend any and all of her books
Best Selling in Fiction & Literature
Save on Fiction & Literature
- $4.55Trending at $8.87
- $7.64Trending at $7.85
- $6.55Trending at $9.87
- $13.33Trending at $15.69
- $14.47Trending at $23.41
- $13.99Trending at $14.47
- $11.75Trending at $15.16