About this product
- The Sony Alpha A390 (DSLR-A390L) is a digital SLR (or DSLR) camera that comes bundled with an 18-55mm lens. Therefore, it could make a great starting-off point for the photography hobby or even career you aspire to. The Sony Alpha A390 has a 14.2MP APS CCD sensor, a LCD screen and modern DSLR features such as zoom and image stabilization. It’s a good basis in what you should expect from digital cameras with a kit lens. The Sony Alpha A390 is a great choice for those looking for an entry-level DSLR, or for those in need of a light device that can still take high-quality pictures. The Sony Alpha A390 has a 2.7-inch Live View LCD screen for enhanced interaction with what is seen through the viewfinder. The Live View screen can tilt upwards or downwards, thus avoiding any impairment of the shot you want at a range of angles. This allows you to compose and take the perfect 14.2MP image on the fly. The Live View LCD screen also allows for autofocus for easy subject highlighting or isolation. The Sony Alpha A390’s autofocus starts working as soon as you raise the camera to start shooting, meaning that it makes fine adjustments at a second’s notice. The Sony Alpha A390’s high ISO rating of 3200 also controls noise and distortion for low-light shots without a flash. The camera’s ISO can also be reduced to as little as 100, for an even wider range of distortion reduction. However, when the light from a flash really is needed, the in-built module of the Sony Alpha A390 pops up and delivers the correct amount of illumination. This is great if you are starting out with DSLRs and are not up to managing and installing manual flash technology yet. The Sony Alpha A390 also has a dual zoom system. The digital zoom allows you to hone in on a subject without compromising on image quality. This is due to its one-to-one pixel conservation Sony technology. However, the 18-55mm lens also offers optical zoom at both 1.4X and 2X settings. This creates a telephoto effect, even with standard lenses. Combined with high-resolution shooting modes, this allows for cropping or enlarging images without a loss of any existing quality. With a shutter speed of 1/4,000s, you won’t have to worry about over- or under-exposure affecting your images either. This DSLR also comes with aperture-priority and shutter-priority exposure modes. The Sony Alpha A390 also benefits from SteadyShot technology, which is an in-built form of image stabilization. This translates from many (i.e., a-mount type) lenses equipped on the camera, for steady anti-blur shooting under any conditions. The Sony Alpha A390, like many other DSLR-type cameras, has a USB 2.0 interface with which to transfer your awesome new images to a PC or printer. It also has ports for Memory Stick Pro and SD/SDHC memory storage devices. The Sony Alpha A390 also features HDMI-out, to display your pictures directly on a TV or monitor. The Sony Alpha A390 is an all-round simple or entry-level DSLR. It is designed to be light and compact, with an accessible and comfortable grip. It also has dust-resistant settings and modes that protect the CCD sensor from dirt and degradation. All in all, a Sony Alpha A390 is a great DSLR to get started with your photography-related goals.
- 2.7" Clear Photo LCD Plus featuring Live View with quick auto focus
A large 2.7" Clear Photo LCD Plus display features Live View with quick auto focus, which lets you compose and shoot pictures in real-time using the LCD, just as you would with a point-and-shoot camera. In addition, the LCD display tilts up or down for low or high-angle shooting situations, such as capturing a child's first steps or shooting over a crowd.
- SteadyShot INSIDE in-camera image stabilization
SteadyShot INSIDE in-camera image stabilization is built into each camera body, so every a-mount lens benefits from the ability to minimize blur due to camera shake.
- 14.2 megapixel resolution for ultra-fine detail
A 14.2 megapixel APS-size CCD image sensor captures your images in spectacular, high-resolution detail, giving you the freedom to make large prints and tight crops without sacrificing quality.
- Lightweight and stylish body
The DSLR-A390 features a stylish design with an intuitive button layout for easier operation. In addition, the lightweight body and revised grip make the camera more comfortable to hold and carry.
- Eye-start autofocus
Eye-start autofocus system begins precision autofocus adjustments the moment you raise the camera to your eye, so the camera is ready to catch the perfect moment.
- High sensitivity (ISO 3200) for superior noise reduction
A broad sensitivity range from ISO 100 to ISO 3200 enables you to capture beautiful color images even in very dim light - with high ISO noise reduction technology that reduces picture noise artifacts at high-sensitivity ISO 1600 and ISO 3200 settings by eliminating noise from RAW data after analog-to-digital conversion.
- Built-in pop-up flash
The auto pop-up flash automatically pops up and fires as needed when the camera is set to certain scene selection modes, helping first-time DSLR photographers shoot more effectively.
- Smart teleconverter 2X digital zoom
Smart teleconverter 2X digital zoom lets you zoom in electronically on your subject and reproduces pixels on a 1:1 basis so there's no degradation in picture quality. One touch zooms in at 1.4X, while the second touch advances to 2X zoom - creating the 35mm equivalent of a telephoto effect with the camera's standard 18-55mm optical zoom lens.
- Anti-dust technology
Anti-dust technology helps keep the CCD imager clean, resulting in consistently better pictures, by utilizing a static-free anti-dust coating on the CCD filter, as well as an anti-dust vibration that automatically shakes the CCD to help dislodge dust each time the camera is shut off.
- 2.7" Clear Photo LCD Plus featuring Live View with quick auto focus
- Camera TypeDigital SLR
- Optical Zoom3x
- Sensor Resolution14.2MP
- Screen Size2.7"
- Sensor Size15.7 x 23.5mm
- Sensor TypeCCD
- Lens TypeZoom lens
- Lens For SDDT SAM 18-55mm
- Focal Length Range18mm - 55mm
- Focus AdjustmentAutofocus & Manual Focus, Automatic, Manual
- Lens Filter Size55 mm
- Lens System FeaturesSmooth Autofocus Motor (SAM), Aspherical Lens, ED Glass
- Auto Focus typeTTL phase detection
- Lens Construction7 group(s) / 8 element(s)
- Focal Length Equivalent to 35mm Camera27 - 82.5mm
- Max Shutter Speed1/4000 sec
- Min Shutter Speed30 sec
- Exposure compensation±2 EV range, in 1/3 EV steps
- Exposure RangeEV 2-20 ( ISO 100 )
- Exposure MeteringCenter-Weighted, Multi-Segment, Spot
- Exposure ModesAperture-Priority, Automatic, Bulb, Manual, Program, Shutter-Priority
- Light SensitivityISO 100-3200, ISO auto
- Light Sensitivity Max3200
- Flash TypePop-up Flash
- Red Eye ReductionYes
- Camera Flash FeaturesAF Illuminator, Flash +/- Compensation, Wireless Off-Camera Control
- Flash ModesAuto Mode, Fill-in Mode, OFF mode, Rear Curtain Sync, Red-eye Reduction, Slow Synchro
Memory / Storage
- Supported Flash MemoryMemory Stick PRO Duo, Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo, Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo HX, SD Memory Card, SDHC Memory Card
- Viewfinder TypeOptical
- Optical Viewfinder TypeEye-level penta-dach mirror
- Viewfinder - Field Coverage95%
- Viewfinder Magnification0.74x
- Dioptric Correction Range-3 to +1
- Depth3.3 in.
- Height3.8 in.
- Width5 in.
- Weight16.08 Oz.
- Display TypeLCD
- Display RotationFolding
- Screen DetailsLCD display - TFT active matrix - 2.7" - color
- Display Size2.7"
- Connector Types1 x HDMI output, 1 x Hi-Speed USB
- Expansion Slot1 x Memory Stick PRO Duo, 1 x SD Memory Card
System Requirements for PC Connection
- Operating System SupportedApple Mac OS X 10.4 or later, MS Windows 7, MS Windows Vista, MS Windows XP SP3
- Battery Form FactorManufacturer specific
- Still Image FormatJPEG, RAW, RAW + JPEG
- Min Operating Temperature0 °C
- Max Operating Temperature40 °C
- Additional FeaturesAutofocus, Interchangeable Lenses, USB
- Shooting ProgramsLandscape, Macro, Night portrait, Portrait mode, Sports mode, Sunset
- Special EffectsBlack & White, Landscape, Neutral, Night View, Portrait, Sunset, Vivid
- Continuous Shooting Speed2 frames per second, 2.5 frames per second
- Exterior ColorBlack
Most relevant reviews
- aquailphotosMar 14, 2017by
A good bargain. Included camera, five lens, very nice Lowpro bag, as well as a separate case for the 600 mm lens.
Verified purchase: Yes | Condition: New
- commander_zengiMar 04, 2017by
This camera replaces my last
I have had a Sony 390 before, never had any problems with it until it disappeared.
Verified purchase: Yes | Condition: Pre-owned
- flatspoonSep 15, 2011by
Good entry DSLR for the price. But may feel a bit too novice for the adept.
The Sony A390 is truly a budget-priced entry-level DSLR. As someone who has used film SLR cameras (Canon and Pentax) long ago, in mostly portrait and macro photography, I decided to purchase the A390 for its affordability and to see if what I already knew about film cameras would easily translate to digital cameras. My review is based on my week long experience with the camera and the included 18-55mm lens included with the kit. I have taken a variety of pictures ranging from portraits, macro, to low light. The first thing I noticed about the camera itself is the textured, smooth body with rubber grips on the shooting fingers and rubber thumb rest (I am right-handed). For an entry level DSLR, it does have some weight to it that reminds me of traditional all metal SLRs. The settings controls for the camera can easily be operated comfortably with the right thumb. The left hand side of the body has the shooting mode selector switch, menu button, autofocus switch for the body, and the memory card slots. Although the camera has an HDMI port, the camera is not capable of capturing video. The 2 choices for memory (SD and MS) give the camera a bit of flexibility for those with spare memory cards. The LCD screen can be tilted to about 90 degress to face upwards and about 45 degrees downwards to allow for angled shooting through Live View. The resolution for the LCD screen is a bit low and feels a little cramped during Live View mode but well organized when using the optical view finder. The camera's tilt sensor automatically rotates the information on-screen and reviewed photos are automatically rotated as well. The battery life when shooting with the optical view finder is very good however suffers when using the Live View mode. I unknowingly left the camera on for over an hour and when I took another photo, still had full battery bars. The optical viewfinder is recessed into the camera a bit and since I wear glasses, the large rubber eye piece does not fully surround my shooting eye allowing for light to affect my visual judgement. The view finder contains the 9 points of auto focus which light up red when focusing. The bottom border contains the shutter, aperture, and exposure meter as well as indicators for the other control settings operated by the right thumb, easily allowing adjustments without taking your eye out of the view finder. The symbols for each setting does take some memorization to get used to. The camera has several modes for a variety of situations which I have found to perform well with the exception of Auto mode which feels like the camera does not use all settings to produce great photos. The A390 does not have the Sony Sweep Panorama mode found in its point and shoot and higher priced DSLRs. Time it takes to go from off to on, focused and shoot a picture is about 1 second. The hotshoe itself is proprietary making third party hotshoes incompatible. Picture quality is excellent until about ISO 800 when noise can become very noticeable. Low light shooting is manageable thanks to the addition of the Steady Shot Inside technology. The teleconverter button on the top of the camera allows for an excellent digital zoom in 1.4x and 2.0 magnification at the cost of resolution. The included lens is great for general photography but dedicated lenses will produce better photos. Sony branded lenses are a bit pricey, however Minolta AF lenses are compatible with the Alpha line and most lenses can be purchased at low cost.Read full review
- 1088010432@dele...Apr 13, 2012by
Great product. i would definitely recommend you to tryout this dslr.
well i am a 17 year old kid who wanted to do photography and for my birthday i bought it. this a great camera for the starters. i was looking for a great looking camera with a affordable price and size with good functions. this is a good choice for the photography enthusiasts. what i liked about this camera is the size. its compact and can be carried anywhere. it not big the the canon and nikon dslrs. one thing is disliked about this camera is that it should have been more cheap considering its workability compared to other dslrs.
- ktmc1070Jun 23, 2011by
Great camera, easy to use, could not be more pleased!!
A total WOW experience. I cannot believe the photographs I was able to take. Went out on our boat and was lucky enought to have an airship go by. Got some incredible shots! Also have been taking shots of trees and flowers in our yard, they look like professional photographs. I could not be happier with this camera!! The fact that all of my Minolta SLR lenses and an external flash from my Minoltas fit this camera was a super ++++. I have been researching DSLR's for quite some time now and purchasing this camera was one of the smartest things I hve ever done. Cannot praise it enough!!
Best Selling in Digital Cameras
- $3,053.88 New
- $2,570.00 Used
- $2,199.98 New
- $2,100.00 Used
- $2,899.00 New
- $2,150.00 Used
- $479.00 New
- $449.95 Used
- $2,049.98 New
- $1,737.50 Used
- $1,419.95 New
- $1,362.50 Used
- $4,199.00 New
- ---- Used
Save on Digital Cameras
- $3,015.00Trending at $3,053.88
- $2,369.99Trending at $2,698.00
- $2,699.00Trending at $2,899.00
- $549.99Trending at $648.00
- $3,879.00Trending at $4,199.00
- $793.99Trending at $996.95
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.