All listings for this product
Best Selling in Digital Cameras
Save on Digital Cameras
- $3,038.99Trending at $3,299.00
- $2,369.99Trending at $2,698.00
- $2,629.95Trending at $2,899.00
- $549.99Trending at $648.00
- $1,831.96Trending at $1,918.99
- $3,879.00Trending at $4,199.00
- $793.99Trending at $996.95
About this product
- Product InformationThe Alpha NEX-3 is a high performance interchangeable lens digital camera with Bionz processor that provides clear and detailed images and offers silent operation. The Sweep Panorama mode of this Sony digital camera offers pictures of wide sceneries and landscapes. With up to 7 fps, this Interchangeable lens camera delivers high quality videos of fast moving objects. The ISO 12800 sensitivity of this Sony digital camera gives you perfect images even in poor lighting condition. The Anti-Dust Technology of this Interchangeable lens camera protects your lens and provides refined picture. The Alpha NEX-3 digital camera has a Smile Shutter technology that easily detects your smile and then captures the image so that you get a perfect picture.
- Camera TypeMirrorless Interchangeable Lens
- Optical Zoom3x
- Digital Zoom10x
- Sensor Resolution14.2MP
- Screen Size3"
- Sensor Size15.6 x 23.4mm
- Sensor TypeExmor CMOS
- Lens TypeZoom lens
- Lens For SDE OSS 18-55mm
- Focal Length Range18mm - 55mm
- Focus AdjustmentAutofocus & Manual Focus,Automatic,Manual
- Lens Filter Size49 mm
- Lens System FeaturesAspherical Lens
- Auto Focus typeTTL contrast detection
- Lens Construction9 group(s) / 11 element(s)
- Focal Length Equivalent to 35mm Camera27 - 82.5mm
- Max Shutter Speed30 sec
- Min Shutter Speed30 sec
- Exposure compensation±2 EV range, in 1/3 EV steps
- Exposure RangeEV 0-20 ( ISO 100 )
- Exposure MeteringCenter-Weighted,Multi-Segment,Spot
- Exposure ModesAperture-Priority,Automatic,Bulb,Manual,Program,Shutter-Priority
- Light SensitivityISO 200-12800,ISO auto (200-1600)
- Light Sensitivity Max12800
- Flash TypeDetachable flash
- Red Eye ReductionYes
- Camera Flash FeaturesAF Illuminator,Flash +/- Compensation,Wireless Off-Camera Control
- Flash ModesAuto Mode,Fill-in Mode,OFF mode,Rear Curtain Sync,Red-eye Reduction,Slow Synchro
Memory / Storage
- Supported Flash MemoryMemory Stick Duo,Memory Stick PRO Duo,Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo,Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo HX,SD Memory Card,SDHC Memory Card,SDXC Memory Card
- Viewfinder TypeNone,Optical
- Viewfinder - Field Coverage100%
- Depth1.3 in.
- Height2.5 in.
- Width4.6 in.
- Weight8.4 Oz.
- Display TypeLCD
- Display RotationFolding
- Screen DetailsLCD display - TFT active matrix - 3" - color
- Display Size3"
- Microphone TypeMicrophone - built-in - electret condenser - stereo
- Microphone Operation ModeStereo
- Connector Types1 x HDMI output,1 x USB
- Expansion Slot1 x Memory Stick Duo,1 x SD Memory Card
System Requirements for PC Connection
- Operating System SupportedApple Mac OS X 10.1.3 or later,MS Windows 2000 Professional,MS Windows Vista,MS Windows XP SP2
- Battery Form FactorManufacturer specific
- Digital Video FormatMPEG-4
- Still Image FormatJPEG,RAW,RAW + JPEG
- Min Operating Temperature0 °C
- Max Operating Temperature40 °C
- Additional FeaturesAutofocus,USB
- Face DetectionYes
- Shooting ProgramsHandheld twilight,Landscape,Macro,Night portrait,Night view,Portrait mode,Sports mode,Sunset
- Special EffectsBlack & White,Landscape,Neutral,Portrait,Sunset,Vivid
- Continuous Shooting Speed2.3 frames per second,7 frames per second
- Exterior ColorBlack
Most relevant reviews
- jlockwardAug 29, 2012by
Best camera i bought ever...
Best pro-introduction camera...lots of features, great image quality, and overall, its a photo course include with the tips over each take, and the info shown on each part of the menu, flexible use, and compare to some other pro cameras on the market it has a better value/features and quality ratio for the amount payed...wont use a dslr any more...probably, upgrading to a last generation Sony NEX after this one..much better than a Alpha 100, 200, 33, and alike to a 500...brakes the rules over some nikons and canon...lots of example to learn how to use the camera are also include, besides that, an automatic inteligent mode that rocks...
- kamisan4jofDec 20, 2011by
Great camera for the price, easy to use.
This camera is a great camera for beginners and camera enthusiast. My wife wanted to get into better photography and this was her Christmas gift (though I gave it early) The Ai feature 99% of the time sets everything the way you want. The twilight feather (in settings, scenes) takes amazing night photos without a tripod. It does this by taking multiple pictures and merging them and stitching the edges to make it less blurry. A fantastic feature. The flash is seldom needed. I would recommend a 49-55 adapter ring so general filters and such fit it. Most are 55mm even when sold for this camera and if you do not have one their useless. Those adapters are cheap (under $10.00) So far the video and still resolution images have been great and the battery life is good as well. It is easy to use and I recommend doing the firmware update which adds new features and is free. Read full review
- starbug03Sep 16, 2011by
Between the GF-series EPL-series, the NEX-3 will be the best choice
If you are deciding between the GF-series, the EPL-series, or the NEX-series, look no further. Although the GF-series and EPL-series have wonderful micro 4/3s sensors, the APS-C sensor you usually get on entry level dslrs is fitted into the NEX-series and this does not disappoint. I have the NEX-3 coupled with an 18-55mm lens and I have yet to feel like the unit lacks any features. For photographers used to a physical mode dial a virtual mode dial may seem like an annoying aberration initially but it does become an easy habit to adapt to. For new beginners the virtual mode dial does not agitate the user at all but actually feels natural & quick. Picture quality is vibrant and sharp. Though there can be pin cushioning and lens barreling at the lens's extremes. **Tip: ignore the 16mm pancake lens(you might as well buy a poin-&-shoot), try for the 18-55mm lens maybe even the 18-200mm lens if you can spend the cash and know that this camera will stick with you for quite a while. The 16mm lens should only be considered once you bought the 18-55mm lens(In My Opinion). I bought this product because I needed a camera that the family could use(so it needed features of a point-&-shoot) but also could serve my desire for dslr-like photos(so it needed to have the components of a proper dslr:APS-C sensor). What I like is its APS-C sensor, ability for high ISO, panorama, manual focus, interchangeable lenses, compact size, ease of use, 3" tru-black led screen, tilt function, color, etc. If I had to be absolutely critical about something I dislike is the plastic body. The body by no means does it feel plastic-y, it feels absolutely solid but knowing there is the NEX-5 floating around with an magnesium-alloy body is disparaging. The GF-series, EPL-series, and even the NX-series just seem to be half a step below the NEX-series. They are all wonderful cameras but the NEX-series is refined just a tad bit better but refined in several places that crowns the NEX-series as king(In My Opinion). Read full review
- peterdocdestinyJul 10, 2012by
This is a cool little camera
I'm loving the Sony Nex 3. I bought it because my cheap digital wasn't taking good enough photos of stuff I want to sell on ebay. This one is doing a nice job; plus it will take any other photos I may want to take. No complaints. Got it at a fair price. Surprised how many features it has (although I need some lessons in learning how to use them). It has been a very nice purchase. I recommend it to those who don't need a super expensive pro type camera, but want something better than a simple digital.
- agostonviktorJul 09, 2012by
Great value, for amateurs with high expectations
This camera is a perfect solution for backcountry purposes. The weight and size makes easy to use it when one takes a tour in the mountains, or even climb some multi-pitch alpine routes. I brought it to the CMC route in Teton NP and took images while lead climbing. I would recommend this camera to enthusiastic amateurs, who want to take good pictures easily without compromising with weight and size of the camera