Best Selling in Digital Cameras
Save on Digital Cameras
- $2,369.99Trending at $2,698.00
- $3,895.95Trending at $3,989.95
- $5,169.99Trending at $5,349.99
- $909.95Trending at $919.62
- $793.99Trending at $996.95
- $559.95Trending at $679.00
- $365.00Trending at $449.00
About this product
- Product InformationThe DMC-FZ40 is a 14.1-megapixel hybrid digital compact camera that combines an optical zoom and creative options including manual operation. The developed LEICA DC VARIO-ELMARIT lens in the DMC-FZ40 extends its optical zoom range from 25mm to 24x, 600mm equivalent. The manual control of FZ40 elevates the operability even higher with the incorporation of the jog dial. A focus button lets users change its settings quickly according to the shooting condition. Users can enjoy creative shooting not only in photo but also in movie, utilizing a host of options including creative movie mode and my colour mode. The FZ40 features a high-quality LEICA DC VARIO-ELMARIT 25mm ultra wide-angle lens with a 24x optical zoom. This advanced lens unit realizes the outstandingly compact body while passing Leica's stringent standards to deliver exceptional optical performance suppressing distortion at wide end and colour bleeding at tele end. Thanks to the incorporated Intelligent Resolution technology, the intelligent zoom is available with the FZ40, which extends the zoom ratio by approx. 1.3x maintaining the picture quality even combining a digital zoom. Furthermore, the extra optical zoom function extends zoom power to 50.6x by using the centre part of the large CCD to bring subjects even closer. The DMC-FZ40 is capable of recording high quality HD movie in AVCHD Lite. It also features Dolby Digital Creator to record high-quality audio.
- Camera TypeCompact
- Optical Zoom24x
- Digital Zoom4x
- Sensor Resolution14.1MP
- Screen Size3"
- Sensor Size1/2.33"
- Sensor TypeCCD
- Macro Focus Range1cm
- Focus AdjustmentAutofocus & Manual Presets,Automatic,Manual
- Auto Focus typeTTL contrast detection
- Focal Length Equivalent to 35mm Camera25 - 600mm
- Max Shutter Speed1/2000 sec
- Min Shutter Speed60 sec
- Exposure compensation±3 EV range, in 1/3 EV steps
- Exposure ModesAutomatic,Programme,aperture-priority,manual,shutter-priority
- Light SensitivityISO 100,ISO 1600,ISO 200,ISO 400,ISO 80,ISO 800,ISO auto,ISO auto (1600-6400)
- Light Sensitivity Max6400
- Flash TypePop-up Flash
- Red Eye ReductionYes
- Effective Flash Range0.3 m - 9.5 m
- Camera Flash FeaturesAF illuminator,Auto Flash,Fill-in Flash,Flash Off,Rear Sync Flash,Red-eye Reduction Flash,Slow Sync
- Flash ModesAuto Mode,Fill-in mode,flash OFF mode,rear curtain sync,red-eye reduction,slow synchro
Memory / Storage
- Integrated Memory size40 MB
- Supported Flash MemorySDXC Memory Card
- Viewfinder TypeDigital,Electronic
- Viewfinder Diagonal Size0.2"
- Depth9.19 cm
- Height7.98 cm
- Width12.03 cm
- Weight454 gr
- Display TypeLCD
- Display RotationBuilt-in
- Screen DetailsLCD display - TFT active matrix - 3" - colour
- Display Size3"
- Microphone Operation ModeStereo
- Connector Types1 x HDMI output,1 x USB,1 x composite video/audio output
- HDMI OutputYes
- Expansion Slot1 x SD Memory Card
- Battery Description1 x Li-ion rechargeable battery - 895 mAh ( included )
- Battery Form FactorManufacturer specific
- Digital Video FormatAVCHD Lite,MJPEG,Motion JPEG,QuickTime
- Still Image FormatJPEG,Raw Image
- Max Video Resolution1280 x 720
- Min Operating Temperature0 °C
- Max Operating Temperature40 °C
- Features720p HD Video Recording,AE lock,AF Lock,Audio Recording,Auto Power Save,Built-in Speaker,DPOF Support,Date/Time Stamp,Digital Image Rotation,Digital Noise Reduction,Direct Print,Dolby Digital Stereo Creator,Face Detection AF/AE,Face Recognition,HDMI,High Dynamic Range (HDR),Highlight Point Display,Histogram Display,Image Stabilisation,Intelligent Resolution Technology,Intelligent Scene Selector,Motion Detection Technology,Not Interchangeable Lenses,PictBridge Support,RGB primary colour filter,Red-eye Correction,Scene Detection Technology,Sharpness Control,Text Input To Exif Header,USB 2.0 compatibility,automatic display brightness adjustment,camera orientation detection,contrast control,cropping an image,in-camera film editing,in-camera red-eye removal,resizing an image,saturation control
- Face DetectionYes
- Shooting ModesFrame movie mode
- White BalanceAutomatic,Cloudy (Preset),Custom,Daylight / Sunny (Preset),Flash (Preset),Halogen (Preset),Manual,Shade (Preset),presets
- Continuous Shooting Speed10 frames per second
- Video CaptureAVCHD Lite - 1280 x 720 - 60 fps,MPEG - 320 x 240 - 30 fps,MPEG - 640 x 480 - 30 fps,MPEG - 848 x 480 - 30 fps
Most relevant reviews
- clareyfairy84Oct 01, 2012by
Great camera all round 5/5
I bought one of these in Devon for myself and it so impressed my other half he decided to get rid of his nikon and buy one too. Its got great features, easy to use and the picture quality both recording and taking stills is great. I have taken hundreds of pictures on it and it never disappoints. It has proved itself in all different kinds of situations be it parties, fireworks displays, at the beach or just for a random snap. Zoom is great and the LCD screen is large and clear. I like that you can switch to the viewfinder on very bright days. I pretty much take it everywhere now and it's not too big and bulky and no fussy lens changes so all in all a great camera for the money and well worth it for amature photographers looking for a good entry level camera
- acuteviewerMay 02, 2012by
Top of the class again.
I've been using these Lumix bridge cameras since 2005 and was immediately impressed by the simplicity and quality of what was on offer. The new FZ45 continues the theme and I've been pleased by the results so far. With a 32gb chip on-board I can shoot without regard for how many I'm taking. It's still lightweight and fits my hand well. The battery lasts longer than before and seems to charge more quickly; perhaps I'm more patient now! This is a well thought out camera that makes photography very enjoyable.
- westender1314Dec 07, 2011by
great camera, easy to use and high quality pics
had an older lumix, upgraded because I wanted an easier to use video facility as I work for a dog rescue and take lots of pics for the website. It isn't easy to get the dogs to pose and this makes it easier to get good images.. very easy to use, don't have any dislikes about it I have a nikon compact digital camera which is easier to carry about, bit not much, and has nowhere near the performance
- twiggyretiredApr 28, 2012by
Handy me down - fits the bill.
Its quite a step up from my trusty HP Photosmart R817 5.1MP and I'm only just getting used to its benefits. I cannot fault it so far but I wish that I'd paid more attention to the offer details as I had to spend much of the savings achieved buying a Panasonic CD to replace one the seller had lost;a robust camera case and memory card that other sellers threw in! But overall I'm please that Panasonic brought out a new model enabling me to pick up last year's favorite at the right price. I'm sure we'll make a great team.
- merlin60027Apr 03, 2012by
Light in weight, but definitely not in quality!
An excellent lightweight camera! Light in weight, but not in quality! Had decided to upgrade from my FZ28. Battery life of the FZ45 far superior to many (unable, yet, to locate a "spare"?). Arrived just in time for holiday trips - very pleased by its performance in low light conditions - larger screen a useful help in this respect. Outperforms more expensive/better known brands - am very impressed!